You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-01 22:38:45

minivanman

Menu Fonts Very Small on Some Applications (Solved)

I'll start with a picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/ … xfubar.jpg

Notice, while everything else is the correct size, the font for the dropdowns and menus in VirtualBox are incredibly small.  They are unreadable. 

The issue initially arose when I built up an Arch build on a 19" LCD display then moved the computer over to a 50" Plasma.  I was using Openbox for a window manager and it rendered the entire thing unusable.  Every program I opened up looked like that.  I then reloaded Arch, reinstalled Openbox all while using the Plasma TV and got the same thing.  So, I tried XFCE.  XFCE cleaned up a lot, and made it generally usable, but still a lot of programs showed up that way.  I then reloaded Arch again, and this time went straight to XFCE.  Everything looked fine then EXCEPT for VirtualBox. 

I was able to navigate through and load XP in VirtualBox, but it's incredibly annoying if anything goes wrong and needs to be configured.  Of course, something has indeed gone wrong.  For some reason my guest systems are not staying after a reboot of the system.  They'll stay if I load them up while in root.  But if I'm logged in as my regular user the guests disappear. 

More concerned about the font thing right now.

Moderator edit:  Changed huge in-line picture to a link

Last edited by minivanman (2012-03-02 15:08:17)

#2 2012-03-02 01:39:54

hadrons123

Re: Menu Fonts Very Small on Some Applications (Solved)

You can adjust the font size, from the xfce settings.

http://wiki.xfce.org/tips

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#3 2012-03-02 02:20:39

minivanman

hadrons123 wrote:

You can adjust the font size, from the xfce settings.

http://wiki.xfce.org/tips

Thanks, but it only occurs with VirtualBox.  Plus, with Openbox it was in everything.  So, it's not a font issue with XFCE.

#4 2012-03-02 02:26:22

Meyithi
Website

Virtualbox uses qt toolkit, hence has qt theme that you need to configure properly.

Last edited by Meyithi (2012-03-02 02:26:39)

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#5 2012-03-02 02:30:47

hadrons123

@meyithi does changing the font size in this will help ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … _procedure

@OP
See forum rules on image posting.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2012-03-02 02:33:13)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#6 2012-03-02 03:58:01

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment:
@minivanman:  First off, welcome to Arch Linux.  Second, That picture is just a smidgen over our Guidelines for pasting pictures and code

Furthermore, i just could not abide that logo being so prominent on these Linux forums big_smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-03-02 04:27:56

minivanman

ewaller wrote:

Moderator comment:
@minivanman:  First off, welcome to Arch Linux.  Second, That picture is just a smidgen over our Guidelines for pasting pictures and code

Furthermore, i just could not abide that logo being so prominent on these Linux forums big_smile

Sorry about that.  Newbie here but not forum newbie.  Consider my hand slapped.  You have to give me props that it was a virtual machine.  The wife will abide this media PC being Linux as long as Netflix is accessible. 

Anyway, I found the problem.  I took the original advice and started digging through the "Appearance" GUI and fonts, and found a clicky, button, check thingy for a custom DPI setting for my fonts.  I checked that and set it to 96 DPI and it fixed the problem.

Was odd that it only affected VirtualBox.  Silly Arch people.  Why use the command line when there's a fancy GUI available?  I'll run for cover now.

That was the last hiccup in this process.  My new Arch based MythTV build, replete with Netflix, and tied into my MythBox Backend server.  A beautiful thing.

#8 2012-03-02 07:06:04

DSpider

Was odd that it only affected VirtualBox.  Silly Arch people.  Why use the command line when there's a fancy GUI available?  I'll run for cover now.

Run. Far away.

It also affected SMPlayer, Dolphin, Sigil and any other KDE-based applications you may have had installed (which use Qt).

Small suggestion: next time use a screenshot program like Gimp (File - Create - Screenshot) or scrot from the CLI. Much easier (and sharper) than taking an actual photo of the screen.

And please remember to mark this thread as solved (by editing the first post) so that other people (including yourself sometimes) may find it useful.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#9 2012-03-02 15:15:46

minivanman

DSpider wrote:

Small suggestion: next time use a screenshot program like Gimp (File - Create - Screenshot) or scrot from the CLI. Much easier (and sharper) than taking an actual photo of the screen.

Normally I would, but this build was very minimal.  I have a desktop that's nice and feature rich for everyday computing.  It's what drew me to Arch, everything I wanted, nothing I didn't for this build.  No KDE apps.  I kept this as light as I possibly could.  Purely a mediacenter for TV, Hulu, Netflix, and other streaming.

This is very off topic, but I couldn't be happier.  I haven't felt this "in control" of my O/S since old MSDOS back in the 80's.

#10 2012-03-02 16:39:21

DSpider

Can't get any more minimal than running scrot from a terminal. The whole package takes up a whooping 0.05 MB.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer