You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-06 06:38:58

lukelee83

[Solved] Playing mp3...

Hi,

Let me give you a little background so it doesn't look like I am a complete retard beyond salvation... I am a slightly above average Windows user, and never used linux before. I wanted to learn to use linux and figured if I want to learn linux properly, I should go with something like arch, instead of something like Ubuntu, where most things are done for you automatically. Anyhow, I finally managed to dual boot arch with Windows 7 successfully after 3 days of struggle, and installed KDE.

Here is my question. In Windows, when I click on an mp3 file, the default player that I've set will open up and the song starts playing. I can use this player to control; ie: pause, stop, restart, etc. When I fired up Dolphin and clicked on an mp3 file in arch, the music started automatically, but nothing really opened up. Mplayer Media Player showed up briefly the task bar, but it was gone before the music ended. I tried clicking on it, but nothing happened.

I googled Mplayer Media Player, and learned that it is command-input based, and it doesn't have a GUI. Fair enough. I learned that I can hit esc key to stop and the space bar to pause. Empowered with this knowledge, I clicked on the mp3 file again to test it. When I hit the esc key, nothing happened. The music kept playing. The same with the space bar. I even opened up the terminal and tried again in the unlikely chance that it might help. Again, no go. I tried clicking on another mp3 file to see what happens. In Windows, the song currently playing stops and the new one starts. In arch, however, the new one began to play on top of the old one. Again, I couldn't figure out how to stop the songs, switch between the songs, etc.

Obviously, there has to be a way to control mp3 playback, and I really didn't want to resort to posting here to find out how to play mp3 properly, and let everyone know how stupid I am..... Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching the forum, but most people seem to have problem with their computers not making sound, instead of the problem stopping the sound....

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Last edited by lukelee83 (2012-10-07 01:46:09)

#2 2012-10-06 07:34:10

arojas
Developer

Re: [Solved] Playing mp3...

Standalone mplayer is not really user-friendly, there are multiplie mp3 players for KDE available in the repos. For playing singe files you can use dragon player (part of kdemultimedia), if you want a full media player with playlist management you have juk, amarok, clementine...

#3 2012-10-06 08:13:52

bohoomil
Website

...and a handy list of applications...

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#4 2012-10-06 08:16:21

lukelee83

Thank you guys. I'll check out the other players. Just to satisfy the curiosity though, any idea on how to actually use the mplayer in this situation?

#5 2012-10-06 08:17:42

bohoomil
Website

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mplayer

man mplayer

For a nice mplayer GUI, install smplayer.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#6 2012-10-06 11:54:06

acrox999

MPD is highly recommended. Setting it up is very easy. After that just pick your client of choice. I use Guimup (available in AUR) as it's the only GUI MPD client which is still updating.

#7 2012-10-07 01:45:42

lukelee83

Thank you for the input guys. I'm looking into GUI.

Board footer