You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-15 04:57:09

caslie

systemd does not start getty@.service

Hello, im having a little problem with booting up. This happened when I tried to replace console kit using systemd-logind. I replaced getty@.service with autologin@.service as provided by the wiki however i learned that it will still be implemented on the next version of polkit so I disabled the service for autologin. Thereafter, I deleted the service in /etc/systemd/system/autologin@.service. After that I surfed the net and fell asleep. LOL. I don't know if i re-enabled getty@.service but my boot splash tells me that I failed to re-enable it. The last service in the splash is multi-user.target. Everything works fine except that after all the services are started my username and password is not being asked.. I can't go to the command line because of this to fix the problem I tried pressing ctrt+alt+1/2/3/4/5/6 etc but i can't enter the command line. I also tried fallback mode but I have the same problem.

Questions.. 1)how can i enter the command line to save my problem.  2) in other distros, in fallback mode i automatically enter the CLI why is it not the case in arch?  Thanks.

#2 2012-10-15 05:21:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: systemd does not start getty@.service

You probably masked getty@.service.

Do you have a pure systemd setup? If not, you can just delete the init=/bin/systemd line in your bootloader.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-10-15 05:24:48

WonderWoofy

I guess you just need to boot into the live media and either chroot, or create the symlink manually.  Remember, you are not enabling getty@.service, but rather getty@tty1.service (the .service is optional).

Does adding init=/bin/bash still work?  Maybe you could just do that and create the symlink.

#4 2012-10-15 05:39:52

caslie

ngoonee wrote:

You probably masked getty@.service.

Do you have a pure systemd setup? If not, you can just delete the init=/bin/systemd line in your bootloader.

Yes I have pure systemd setup. Any other suggestions pls?

Last edited by caslie (2012-10-15 05:40:12)

#5 2012-10-15 05:45:38

caslie

WonderWoofy wrote:

I guess you just need to boot into the live media and either chroot, or create the symlink manually.  Remember, you are not enabling getty@.service, but rather getty@tty1.service (the .service is optional).

Does adding init=/bin/bash still work?  Maybe you could just do that and create the symlink.

Yes it's working. What should i do next? I mean can you please make it more detailed please! Sorry don't want to mess up further. Thanks!

Last edited by caslie (2012-10-15 05:53:16)

#6 2012-10-15 09:07:29

caslie

i tried to symlink after i chroot but i get an error which says that the device is read only and "no job control in this shell".

#7 2012-10-15 10:42:10

teateawhy
Website

The device is read only, because systemd is remounting the filesystem as read-write during boot. Now you have to do it on your own, good luck.

Board footer