You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-01 03:46:14

zdevex

[SOLVED] Gnome 3.6 Background Pictures folder

Hey guys,

Like many of you I just upgraded to Gnome 3.6. After upgrade I am experiancing some rather strange behavior, that I was hoping someone would be able to help me figure out.  It is probably embarssingly simple.

When I go into settings and go to "Background" to change my desktop background I am given a little GUI with four options at the top, "Wallpaper", "Pictures", "Colors", "Flickr".

Under the "Pictures" option, I see images that I have, at one time or another, used as wallpapers on this computer, but many of them I no longer even have the source files for. I also see no way to add new Picutres to this menu as new potiential backgrounds.  I thought that perhaps the "Pictures" menu was going to pull data from the Pictures folder in my home directory, but alas, it does not.

So my questions are, how do I add new backgrounds in gnome 3.6?  Why is gnome 3.6 not reading images from my Pictures folder?  And where are these copies of images that I already deleted being stored?

I did run

$ sudo find / -type f -name *.jpg -print 

and I can't find anything on my system that would be a copy of these old images.  The sources were jpgs.

Thanks for the help,
David

Last edited by zdevex (2012-11-01 18:05:43)

#2 2012-11-01 04:52:06

morrow

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome 3.6 Background Pictures folder

For the cached images, try

~/.cache/gnome-control-center/backgrounds/

#3 2012-11-01 18:03:31

zdevex

Thanks for the reply morrow, you are correct about the cached images.

As far as populating the Background GUI, I turns out that it only reads on directory deep in the Pictures folder, and my images were two directories deep so it was not reading them.

David

#4 2012-11-14 01:41:09

h54

My apologies for the slight necro-bump but I did a little digging in the wiki and found this very helpful piece of info:

For any users that don't have any of the default folders such as Pictures, Downloads, etc, you can install and run:

pacman -S xdg-user-dirs
xdg-user-dirs-update

everything in the Gnome places menu will be sorted and putting pictures in the 'Pictures' folder works!

#5 2012-11-22 05:18:00

0x000000

I know this isn't the least bit helpful, but I'm trying to figure out who thought it would be a good idea to remove the feature where users could add their own background images from some external directory. What is going on with GNOME lately?

#6 2013-01-30 17:25:26

print

0x000000 wrote:

I know this isn't the least bit helpful, but I'm trying to figure out who thought it would be a good idea to remove the feature where users could add their own background images from some external directory. What is going on with GNOME lately?

+1000

Gnome's UI has become really dumbed-down.  That's what top-down governance gets you...

% whereis whatis whence which whoami whois who

Board footer