You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-10 05:28:54

twilek58

Need help installing systemd from the livecd

So I'm currently running linux mint 13 and I heard about arch so I thought that I should poke around. Seeing how it is so much different than linux mint I decided to try it out on a live cd so I could get everything working perfectly before I ruined my computer with a failed install. Everything went along perfectly with the exception of my Daemons seeing as systemd isn't in base or base-devel so when I tried to install systemd with pacman /mnt systemd it installed but did not function. So could anyone either tell me how to get this done from an init script or could they please instruct me in getting systemd running out of the livecd. If you could it also would be helpful to have information on installing kde from the livecd and then having kde run as a daemon when I run the os for the first time.
Help would be appreciated,
Twilek58

#2 2012-11-10 05:47:18

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Need help installing systemd from the livecd

I think you are looking for this

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-11-10 05:48:58

ewaller
Administrator

twilek58 wrote:

If you could it also would be helpful to have information on installing kde from the livecd and then having kde run as a daemon when I run the os for the first time.
Help would be appreciated,
Twilek58

That may be a bridge too far.  Get it to boot to the console first.  Then get Xorg working.  Then KDE.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#4 2012-11-10 07:02:26

hadrons123

I thought you can install xorg, DE from the first step and then config the services later. Correct me if I am wrong.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#5 2012-11-10 07:06:51

ewaller
Administrator

No, you are not wrong.  I just like dip my toe in the pool first to ensure it is to my liking.  Others jump right in off of the high platform.

---

#6 2012-11-10 18:01:39

twilek58

Hi, thanks for the help and what not but it ask me to move my "deppreciated initscript files" to the native systemd config files. How do I do this? Also it ask me to edit the kernel parameters, how do I do this also?

#7 2012-11-10 18:08:30

hadrons123

What version of install CD did you choose ?
You might already be running Systemd if you used the latest installer image.
Read this for further help.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
edit:
Suggestion: Use pure systemd. Its easier than the other choices.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2012-11-10 18:10:57)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#8 2012-11-10 19:35:08

twilek58

Hmm I just read the homepage so I decided to get the new torrent and see if it works. I think I should update my mirrors list if that could help me any.

#9 2012-11-11 03:02:54

cfr

If you installed base, you should have systemd. (systemd-sysvcompat is in base and pulls in systemd as a dependency.)

As others have said, make sure you are using the latest media.

Also, make sure that you are following all the steps in the Beginners' Guide. That explains how to install X post-install and test X before trying to install, e.g. KDE. It is much easier to solve problems if you do things one step at a time because at least you know which step caused the problem. Not to say you can't install it all at once. Just it is riskier and if you do run into a problem, troubleshooting is likely to be more difficult and time-consuming.

Last edited by cfr (2012-11-11 03:06:29)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#10 2012-11-11 06:30:49

twilek58

Ok, I go the latest torrent and loaded it with BitTorrent, I updated my mirror list. I installed base and base-devel.system d is not installed and when I try to config my network with systemct1 enable dhcpcd@eth0.service I get a bash error that says that systemct1 is not a command. I am seriously frustrated about this because that means I can't run my network so I can't access the repositories practlcally rendering arch useless. Plz, give me detailed information on installing systemd from the cd so I can get this os of the ground.

#11 2012-11-11 06:37:58

WonderWoofy

systemctl not systemct1

You already have an answer about getting systemd running.  As others have already told you it is running on a new install.  systemd is now in base.

#12 2012-11-11 07:01:37

twilek58

Oh sorry bout the stupid question I'm sorta new to the arch thing so I'm sorry if I was a nuisance.

#13 2012-11-11 07:03:12

ewaller
Administrator

twilek58 wrote:

Oh sorry bout the stupid question I'm sorta new to the arch thing so I'm sorry if I was a nuisance.

Bah!

Welcome to Arch wink

---

#14 2012-11-13 23:59:09

twilek58

Hey I got systemd configured and working but I'm currently having another  problem related to loading up grub from gpt.I followed the wiki instructions about getting a bios partition with the file type EF02 or something like that. However, following the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr … nless_Disk as I assume is nesscessary for a gpt grub download but when I type in chattr and the commands that follow it says that chattr is a directory and it says that the chattr directory doesnt exist. I was running this in bash from the livecd and I was wondering what the problem was. I know its a noob question but I need to get grub running for a windows dual-boot (for gaming).

#15 2012-11-14 01:27:03

shikitohno

In similar situations, grub has always given me issues as well.  Syslinux installs with no problem, though, and the default config has a commented out entry for allowing one to dual-boot.  Unless there's some pressing reason why you need to use grub, you might want to give syslinux a shot.

#16 2012-11-14 02:06:21

twilek58

oh, I didnt know you could  dual-boot with sys could you give me some links on how to do that?

#17 2012-11-14 02:08:31

ZekeSulastin

twilek58, the same way you do in GRUB{,2} - setting up a chainloader entry.  I'd give you a link to the wiki article for syslinux, but you already did a pretty good job of ignoring GRUB's article and you should have thought to check the Arch wiki before asking for a howto anyways.

#18 2012-11-14 03:08:13

twilek58

Uhmm ok well I really could use a bit of help here so if you have any help plz comment.

#19 2012-11-14 04:08:21

ewaller
Administrator

twilek58 wrote:

Uhmm ok well I really could use a bit of help here so if you have any help plz comment.

Did you happen to see this article during your research ?

---

#20 2012-11-14 13:38:29

twilek58

Thank you mod, and as I stated earlier I didnt come across what I should do in the case of chattr not working nor did I now what dd setting should have been.

#21 2012-11-15 04:07:09

cfr

twilek58 wrote:

However, following the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr … nless_Disk as I assume is nesscessary for a gpt grub download...

Why would you assume that?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#22 2012-11-15 04:18:57

WonderWoofy

@OP, you strike me as very lost and confused.  What you need to do is learn to reference our excellent wiki.  The community has put much effort into compiling information that is of great value to both an Arch Linux user as well as users of Linux in general.  This information is right at your fingertips, yet you insist on having someone here direct you to these pages.  You really need to learn to use a search engine (like the google) or use the search bar on the left side of our wiki. 

If you actually put some kind of effort in to finding your own answers (or at least pretend), and followed the directions given to you by the begruding participants of this thread, you might be a bit more well recieved here.  As it is now, you are looking for hand holding and being a bit of a help vampire.  These might just be two of the worst no-no's of the Arch forums.

You would benefit greatly from this wiki page here.  I even linked to the part of the page below the table of contents so that you don't have to be bothered with scrolling through part of it that you won't read.... though I seriosuly lack faith that you will end up reading any of it.

#23 2012-11-15 04:59:35

bgc1954

What's happening here?  I fear that we are experiencing a large noob base trying to use arch, despite the standard statement that arch linux is for competent linux users.  I applaud anyone trying to learn, but arch is not the first distro to choose to learn linux.  As I've said before, you have ot learn to walk before you can run.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#24 2012-11-15 06:06:17

WonderWoofy

bgc1954, at first I thought you were being a bit quick to assume an influx of incomptence around the forums.  But then I took a look at the new posts, and sweet jebus, you are right!

I am totally all for newcomers here.  When I started with Arch Linux, as much as I thought I knew about Linux, I realized I didn't really know crap.  I still don't really know crap, but I know a whole hell of a lot more than I knew before, and I have desire to learn and find new information. I just read numerous new threads that basically said "Its broken and how do I fix it?" Whats more, is that they have all appeared very recently.  An influx indeed.  (Though I have to admit that I did enjoy jasonwryan's "Where are my pants?" comment.)

Board footer