You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-18 13:03:24

photon

The need to install Arch over network?

When I install Arch, I need to connect to network and use pacstrap to get the packages according to the relative wiki pages.
Could I install Arch without network connection? Which command I can use to do that, say, pacman?
Why don't we provide a CD such as Ubuntu did?

My previous questions:
pacman base base-dev returns ERROR: /mnt is not a mountpoint!
When install arch, how to avoid sleep or hibertate state
order question on language,internet connection and Mount the partition

wiki:
Beginners' Guide

Last edited by photon (2012-11-18 13:05:56)

#2 2012-11-18 13:16:58

Šaran

Re: The need to install Arch over network?

Archboot images contain core repo, but why whould you want to install Arch without network access?

And what are you hoping to achieve with links to your previous topics? I think linking completely unrelated threads in against the rules.

#3 2012-11-18 13:20:11

DSpider

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … .5Bcore.5D

Note: This repository used to be included in the core installation media, so you could build a fully working base system without Internet access. This is no longer the case. Internet access is now required in order to install a new system. See here if you would like to create a local repository with packages from [core] or from any of the other repositories.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-11-18 13:35:15

photon

I see, thank you all.
Thanks for Šaran's remindness, and I will try to make the links more sensible next time.

#5 2012-11-18 13:51:56

tomk
Forum Fellow

photon wrote:

Because "we" are totally different to Ubuntu, I guess.

Interesting choice of pronoun there..... smile

#6 2012-11-19 01:09:04

cfr

@photon,
Can I just ask if you have actually READ the Beginners' Guide? (As opposed to linking to it?)

You have been advised that Arch may not be the best distro for you at this time but that if you are determined and willing to learn, you may succeed by reading the documentation and following the instructions. This means working through the Beginners' Guide (and linked pages where appropriate) carefully and slowly.

It also means that you should choose the simplest setup you can for your initial install and that you should choose "recommended" options from the choices given in the wiki, where applicable. That means doing a standard install and keeping things as simple as you can. It means *not* trying to do non-standard or non-recommended things at this point.

Either you are serious or you are not.

If you are serious, you will work through the Guide and post back here only if you run into a problem which you cannot solve despite following the instructions, starting again and following the instructions, and doing your own research.

If you are trolling, you would be behaving pretty much like this. So I suspect you are here just for that. If so, please stop wasting everybody's time - not least your own.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#7 2012-11-19 04:41:34

Max-P

photon wrote:

Because Ubuntu updates packages every 6 months or so, with only minor upgrades there and there. Arch is a fully rolling release, meaning that the install media gets outdated in matter of weeks, or even days. That's way it is way better to just provide the needed stuff to download packages, then the system is already up to date.

Ever downloaded an Ubuntu, installed it, and got 1.2 Gb of upgrades right after installing it? Doesn't happen on Arch.

If you really need offline install media, you can put the extra packages you need on a USB drive, CD/DVD, or even just expand the regular image and make a big DVD with all [core] and a few packages from [extra] on it.

If you need to quickly install a functional system without internet access, you might also want to create a full install that suits your needs in a chroot or VM, then compress all that in an image/archive and unpack it on target systems.

You can find already downloaded files in /var/cache/pacman/pkg too.

TL;DR: Just download the packages you need and put that on some media and install with pacman -U.

#8 2012-11-19 08:34:01

Awebb

Max-P wrote:

TL;DR: Just download the packages you need and put that on some media and install with pacman -U.

Which will break dependencies, unless you go all the way and install package by package with --asdeps. And, err, if what you want to say can be said in one line, why all the text?

#9 2012-11-19 09:06:24

Max-P

Awebb wrote:
Max-P wrote:

Which will break dependencies, unless you go all the way and install package by package with --asdeps.

Not if you install them all at once in one command. Also works if you install them in the correct order, but just dumping all the packages in the command line fixes it because pacman reads all the package first, check depencies afterward. That way, it will see you install 100 packages, all depencies met -> no problem.

Awebb wrote:

And, err, if what you want to say can be said in one line, why all the text?

Because the longer text:

• Explains why Arch can't have big disk images with all packages preinstalled on it

• Explains why having the packages isn't that useful in most cases (example of the 1.2Gb update)

• Offers multiple ways to store the packages:

• Put extra packages on another media or network share

• Expand the original CD image and put them directly on the Live CD

• Tells where to go for the currently downloaded packages for easy access

• Plus, finally, offers an alternative way to install the system: pre-build it in a VM or chroot and just untar on the target machine(s)

The one-line version doesn't talk about all that and suggest the direct way to do it quickly, but it acts more like a summary. Next time learn to read before complaining, thanks.

#10 2012-11-19 09:32:51

Awebb

pacman -U $LISTOFPACKAGES will result in all of those packages being installed as explicit. It will not identify dependencies over explicit packages and install them as dependencies (=not as explicit). This will result in the unfortunate loss of functionality of the package management, which is why it is broken after doing so. One should take special care of package management in such a special scenario.

That was no complaint, it was a question. I was indeed ignoring the large part and went straight for the TL;DR. I have seen this weird custom in quite a few instances lately and in most of those cases, it lead to exactly what happened now: The actual information part was ignored, the "summary" was read and used as a base for a reply. By using this marker, you basically give the advice, that it is a waste of time to read your post and that one should head for the end.

#11 2012-11-19 09:44:15

Max-P

Awebb wrote:

pacman -U $LISTOFPACKAGES will result in all of those packages being installed as explicit. It will not identify dependencies over explicit packages and install them as dependencies (=not as explicit). This will result in the unfortunate loss of functionality of the package management, which is why it is broken after doing so. One should take special care of package management in such a special scenario.

You are right about that, all depencies will be installed as explicit.

I think it's possible to make a repo from a local folder, that could fix this problem, and make all packages available throught pacman -S

Awebb wrote:

That was no complaint, it was a question. I was indeed ignoring the large part and went straight for the TL;DR. I have seen this weird custom in quite a few instances lately and in most of those cases, it lead to exactly what happened now: The actual information part was ignored, the "summary" was read and used as a base for a reply. By using this marker, you basically give the advice, that it is a waste of time to read your post and that one should head for the end.

That's still basically what the solution is, without the extra advices. Someone that knows what pacman -U does knows the rest of my post. But you should have read it before saying it was useless. The essential is in the TLDR, but OP really need to read the whole thing.

#12 2012-11-19 11:30:20

Awebb

Max-P wrote:

But you should have read it before saying it was useless.

You mean right after you stopped putting words in my mouth?

#13 2012-11-19 12:51:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Awebb wrote:
Max-P wrote:

But you should have read it before saying it was useless.

You mean right after you stopped putting words in my mouth?

Back on topic please, everyone. These sort of comments above are more suitable for private communication rather than on someone else's thread in a public forum. Thanks.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer