You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-23 22:16:30

Icamaxi

[solved]Mapping keyboard multimedia keys

Hello everyone, I've finally installed archlinux and so far it seems to be work good. But I need help with mapping my multimedia keyboard, I got a "Microsoft wired keyboard 600" and the most important keys is play/pause | volume down | volume up | mute.

Last edited by Icamaxi (2012-11-23 23:18:14)

#2 2012-11-23 22:18:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [solved]Mapping keyboard multimedia keys

And what have you done so far?  There are wiki pages, several threads, and many good pages that can be found via google that will tell you everything you need to know.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-11-23 22:21:21

Icamaxi

So far I've done nothing but I've tried before and I didn't get it to work but you could set global keys in vlc so that will do it for now. I'll try and search some more also

#4 2012-11-23 22:55:53

WonderWoofy

Here.

You should really try and solve/research your problem before posting here.  You have access to the same wiki and same google as the rest of us, so I am not entirely sure why you think that we should be researching these thigns for you. 

Also I am really not sure how you consider the most imprtant keys on the keyboard to be the play/pause and volume keys.  Personally I think the letters and numbers hold some pretty significant value.

#5 2012-11-23 22:58:01

Icamaxi

Trilby wrote:

And what have you done so far?  There are wiki pages, several threads, and many good pages that can be found via google that will tell you everything you need to know.

I changed my mind and i wanted to try it, I found https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex … troduction and I did everything it said so first I created .Xmodmap in ~ and in there I put:

keycode 172 = XF86AudioPlay
keycode 122 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 123 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 121 = XF86AudioMute

(and i got that using xev | grep -A2 --line-buffered '^KeyRelease' | sed -n '/keycode /s/^.*keycode \([0-9]*\).* (.*, \(.*\)).*$/\1 \2/p' )

but when i was going to try it with

$ xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

nothing happens, nothing in the console and the volume stays the same, any idea, anyone?

WonderWoofy wrote:

Here.

You should really try and solve/research your problem before posting here.  You have access to the same wiki and same google as the rest of us, so I am not entirely sure why you think that we should be researching these thigns for you. 

Also I am really not sure how you consider the most imprtant keys on the keyboard to be the play/pause and volume keys.  Personally I think the letters and numbers hold some pretty significant value.

You do? what kind of wierdo are you? tongue

Last edited by Icamaxi (2012-11-23 23:01:45)

#6 2012-11-23 23:05:40

flipper T

Install this:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm … olumeicon/

then read this:

http://softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html

or vice versa.

ps be nice. good luck.

pps it works for me, however i do have to re-initiate volumeicon each time i boot (i3wm), not sure why.

Last edited by flipper T (2012-11-23 23:08:49)

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#7 2012-11-23 23:08:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It's amazing how you found that link ... given that it was the very first on the resulting list from woofies googling.

It's a shame you only read the first one, and didn't bother with the second.

Foiled again by sheer and utter laziness.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2012-11-23 23:09:46

Icamaxi

flipper T wrote:

Install this:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm … olumeicon/

then read this:

http://softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html

or vice versa.

ps be nice. good luck.

pps it works for me, however i do have to re-initiate volumeicon each time i boot (i3wm), not sure why.

Works great, thank you flipper!

#9 2012-11-23 23:13:20

flipper T

That was quick.

You now need to edit the title of your original post to show that is is solved before people here get upset. [edit:done]

Keep smiling.

Last edited by flipper T (2012-11-23 23:30:49)

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#10 2012-11-23 23:46:44

flipper T

Totally off-topic, but thanks to woofy.

lmgtfy.com is utterly new to me & excellent.

Will be using on a daily basis from now on in my unwanted role as 'extended family system admin officer'

smile

Last edited by flipper T (2012-11-23 23:47:20)

#11 2012-11-23 23:51:16

WonderWoofy

flipper T wrote:

Will be using on a daily basis from now on in my unwanted role as 'extended family system admin officer'

smile

A fantastic use indeed.  It amazes me that my non-computer geek friends somehow think that I come up with my computer knowledge by some mysterious force totally unknown to them... in other words: MAGIC!

#12 2012-11-23 23:57:34

flipper T

Cannot wait to tell my dear, 62 year old mother to "read the f@*king manual".

Will report back.

#13 2012-11-25 00:39:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

While there is a good point to be made by your sarcasm, flipper, I doubt you'd recommend arch linux to your 62 year old mother.  One is expected to know - or at least desire to learn - more about the inner workings of their system than many daily computer users, if they are to use arch.

#14 2012-11-25 01:04:36

flipper T

My dear old mom is currently using (and loving) manjaro (which is arch-ish)

Damn, think my use of brackets is becoming compulsive smile

ps I know that "arch-ish" can be like a red rag to a bull here, no offence meant. That distro was a useful gateway drug for me on my journey to arch. Now running pure arch on my own laptop, and will eventually migrate mums laptop to same (cannot agree with you trilby, do not see the problem...but, of course, that may be my own naivety).

pps slightly concerned that my addiction to brackets is now becoming addiction to pps's

keep smiling

Last edited by flipper T (2012-11-25 01:14:57)

#15 2012-11-25 01:36:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, no problem at all.  I was making faulty assumptions - but my point stands: anyone who is read for arch is ready to be told to "RTFM" if it suits the occasion.

Board footer