You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-07 01:33:30

requerent

Netbooting with dnsmasq...

I'm using archlinux as a server to netboot a semi-functional powerPC iMac (g5) into the leopard installation image.

My setup is simple-- wired router, linux/pc dual-boot, and the iMac.

What is the simplest possible configuration for dnsmasq that will allow the iMac to see the file at boot?

iMac uses open firmware, an efi boot-loader. All I need to do is point it to the installation image on my linux box and it should be able to do the rest. I know the syntax to do this, but all of the net-booting guides are greek to me and don't address my situation specifically-- (in that it's a simpler problem).

I just need to know how to properly configure dnsmasq to expose a single file via tftp.

Thanks!

#2 2012-12-08 22:21:36

Tarqi
Website

Re: Netbooting with dnsmasq...

requerent wrote:

I just need to know how to properly configure dnsmasq to expose a single file via tftp.

You need to setup dnsmasq as a working dhcp-server first. Then configure the relevant tftp-options. This is all well explained in dnsmasq.conf, so it's quite easy.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment. ~Lao Tse

#3 2012-12-09 00:21:01

requerent

Re: Netbooting with dnsmasq...

The comments in the config file are very long and include instructions for a thousand and one things that I'm clueless about.

Like all home routers, my router has its own DHCP server thing going on, how does that influence the one run on my machine via dnsmasq? What options do I need to set? Do I need to manually set static IP addresses to my host/client machines via my router or... what?

I'd just like to know what the minimal config file for dnsmasq should look like in the context of netbooting.

Board footer