You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-30 21:56:42

mamamia88

{Solved}How to drop to a terminal only environment but stay logged in?

Cntrl+ALT+f1 drops me to a command prompt but logs me out in the process.  For some reason terminals just kept spawning for me and i wasn't able to enter killall terminal into one of them because terminals kept spawning making that impossible.  if something like this was to happen again is there anything i can do to drop down to a shell only but keep all current processes running and then kill the misbehavior and then return back to the gui?

Last edited by mamamia88 (2012-12-30 22:17:48)

#2 2012-12-30 22:00:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: {Solved}How to drop to a terminal only environment but stay logged in?

Use one of the other TTYs...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-12-30 22:11:33

mamamia88

jasonwryan wrote:

Use one of the other TTYs...

ok just figured that logging in on one tty and remain logged in on on tty 7 which is my main gui tty.   thing is that the process doesn't show up when running the top command.  does this mean that going to tty1 would kill the terminal process? edit nope terminal still running when coming back to gui.  any reason that killall terminal wouldn't work in tty1 when it is definitely running in tty7? edit number 2 terminal command is capital for some reason.  solved.

Last edited by mamamia88 (2012-12-30 22:15:45)

#4 2012-12-30 22:14:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

No: provided you haven't logged out of the other TTY, ps aux should show you all your running processes.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2012-12-30 22:17:15

mamamia88

jasonwryan wrote:

No: provided you haven't logged out of the other TTY, ps aux should show you all your running processes.

thanks.  really starting to love learning about linux.   it really is hard to brick the entire system.   something starts running wild just go into another virtual terminal and kill it and 10 seconds later you are right back to doing whatever you where doing before

#6 2012-12-30 22:18:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

This is very confusing.  Can you describe, from the start, what you are trying to do?  Is the problem with a terminal emulator in X?

If you are in X on tty7 you can switch to tty1 (or any other open tty).  This tty-switch will *not* log you out of X on tty7, you simply will not yet be logged in on that other tty.  If you then login with the same user account on tty1 you should see all your X processes in (h)top or ps(tree) and you can kill any of them as needed.  In other words, the same user account can be logged in multiple times on multiple ttys, but also must be logged in on each tty you wish to use - you log in to the tty, not to "the computer".

As for the immediate problem, is sounds like something in your bashrc, profile, or other start-up script is launching additional terminal emulators.

(edit: this was cross posted with the previous two posts ... so if it is redundant or unneeded feel free to ignore.)

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-30 22:19:13)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2012-12-30 22:27:53

mamamia88

Trilby wrote:

This is very confusing.  Can you describe, from the start, what you are trying to do?  Is the problem with a terminal emulator in X?

If you are in X on tty7 you can switch to tty1 (or any other open tty).  This tty-switch will *not* log you out of X on tty7, you simply will not yet be logged in on that other tty.  If you then login with the same user account on tty1 you should see all your X processes in (h)top or ps(tree) and you can kill any of them as needed.  In other words, the same user account can be logged in multiple times on multiple ttys, but also must be logged in on each tty you wish to use - you log in to the tty, not to "the computer".

As for the immediate problem, is sounds like something in your bashrc, profile, or other start-up script is launching additional terminal emulators.

(edit: this was cross posted with the previous two posts ... so if it is redundant or unneeded feel free to ignore.)

well what i was trying to do was learn how to kill the terminal task in xfce without logging completely out of the gui envrionment. I did add adb and my scripts folder to $PATH in .bashrc the other day.  could that have caused this to happen?  or do processes sometimes just go crazy and need to be killed?

#8 2012-12-30 22:29:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Processes do not randomly go crazy and need to be killed.  Something caused it.  The changes to your bashrc are a reasonable suspect, but if this isn't happening all the time they can likely be ruled out.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2012-12-30 22:39:52

mamamia88

Trilby wrote:

Processes do not randomly go crazy and need to be killed.  Something caused it.  The changes to your bashrc are a reasonable suspect, but if this isn't happening all the time they can likely be ruled out.

yeah this is the first time it happened and system had been running fine for awhile.  i did just try and connect via ssh over 3g on my phone and it just hung there and never prompted me for my password.  is it possible that this was the problem?   i'm weird.  i have a problem.  it seems to have gone away and yet i still want to know what caused it just so i can prevent it from happening again

#10 2012-12-30 22:46:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Nothing weird about that.  If nothing else, the investigation could be educational.  But speculation about an isolated event is just that: speculation.

If you try to recreate the conditions and can replicate the problem, you can then pinpoint the culprit.  Or in otherwords, to answer whether the 3g connection could be involved: maybe, test it.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-30 22:47:18)

#11 2012-12-30 22:49:49

mamamia88

Trilby wrote:

Nothing weird about that.  If nothing else, the investigation could be educational.  But speculation about an isolated event is just that: speculation.

If you try to recreate the conditions and can replicate the problem, you can then pinpoint the culprit.  Or in otherwords, to answer whether the 3g connection could be involved: maybe, test it.

true.   tested it again and nothing happened.    hope it was just an isolated incident.

Board footer