You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-10 00:43:11

fawkes5

[Solved] How do i Delete particular Dmenu(Yeganesh) suggestions

Hello,

I'm running xmonad with dmenu as a program launcher with yeganesh.

When you type something into dmenu that it has no suggestions for, and press enter, it saves that command for next time so that when you re-enter that phrase it picks that one and attempts to run it.

So suppose i typed in personalbrain and entered. Then dmenu saves that, and whever i start to type personalbrain, that comes up as my first option. I press enter, and it runs that.
Now suppose i have a new command i would like dmenu to remember. The new command is brain. When i type brain, personalbrain comes up as my only option. So i cannot enter the brain command without dmenu assuming i want to run personalbrain

Is that clear? If not ill try and rephrase.

Anyways, i want to get rid of this personalbrain suggestion and replace it with brain. Or just be able to add a new suggestion to dmenu without it assuming i want to run personalbrain.

Thank you!

Last edited by fawkes5 (2013-01-10 01:16:21)

#2 2013-01-10 00:49:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] How do i Delete particular Dmenu(Yeganesh) suggestions

You may want to change the title to indicate that this is yeganesh specific.  Dmenu does not give any suggestions itself - and the only companion-tool with dmenu (dmenu_run) bases suggestions on available executables, not command history.

A google search quickly found the answer though: edit $XDG_DATA_HOME/yeganesh/profile

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-10 00:53:02)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-01-10 01:01:39

fawkes5

Thank you for your reply. I changed the title.

I dont understand what $XDG_DATA_HOME is.

Nvm. http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi … atest.html answers that.

Deleted personal brain in $XDG_DATA_HOME/yeganesh and that worked. Thank you

Last edited by fawkes5 (2013-01-10 01:13:10)

#4 2013-01-10 01:10:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

??

It's an environment variable for a path.  It's usually set to ~/.local/share and can be checked with `echo $XDG_DATA_HOME`.

As a warning, arch is not a "hand-holding distro" and you should be able to do your own searches to find such things.  I had never heard of yeganesh, but was able to find the first answer quickly, but this second question is even simpler.

Not knowing is fine; but not trying to learn on your own before asking will not be well received on these forums.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-10 01:10:45)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-01-10 01:16:00

fawkes5

Yes i know, i feel bad when i post and then realize in a minute what i can do to find the answer.

Environment variables are still new to me and dont register as 'something' immediately.

i will try and refrain from "panic" posting [defined to be replying immediatly when you dont understand something].

Thank you for your time.

Board footer