You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-16 07:43:06

youngunix
Website

[SOLVED] Lil trouble with network and X!

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but not to Arch. I've been using Arch for about 3 months now which I've built from the minimal version.
The OS is 32bit and running XFCE4, it's been working flawlessly 'till tonight when I switched to it (on a seperate HDD) and the first issue was a frozen keyboard which I had to manualy poweroff then on. Boot it up, logged in (CLI) tried to run [pacman -Syyu] before starting X. Usually eth0 is automatically up, but it turns out it wasn't, in fact, it is not recognized when issuing the following commands {ifconfig, ip addr, ip link} yet it does show up with {lspci}, that's problem #1. The other issue is starting X, it used to work without an issue, but now I'm getting display not found for no reason. I have no idea why would Arch behave this way out of the blue. I do use systemd, however, not sure if everything has migrated to it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by youngunix (2013-01-17 03:46:00)

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." --Dennis Ritchie-- RIP

#2 2013-01-16 07:48:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Lil trouble with network and X!

youngunix wrote:

I have no idea why would Arch behave this way out of the blue.

Neither do we, and unless you're expecting us to read your mind you'd need to give more details. What was the last thing you changed before this happened, is systemd actually fully operational on your system (something like 'not sure' is not a suitable answer, its your system and noone else will know more about it than you), etc.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2013-01-16 07:58:53

youngunix
Website

Neither do we, and unless you're expecting us to read your mind you'd need to give more details. What was the last thing you changed before this happened, is systemd actually fully operational on your system (something like 'not sure' is not a suitable answer, its your system and noone else will know more about it than you), etc.

All the details I mentioned and you got that quote? Please know that I'm not here to dis Arch Linux or argue, I'm here for experience and learning. and i do not know what and how a fully functional Arch that uses systemd looks like either. I'm more puzzled and confused as to how to tackle this issue and what steps to take as anyone else.

Now, the last thing I did on it was to download some videos, nothing related to tampering with any configuration. 

Is there any configuration files or logs I need to check?

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." --Dennis Ritchie-- RIP

#4 2013-01-16 08:21:56

satanselbow

Some useful "details" might include the status of your network and dbus services...

youngunix wrote:

The OS is 32bit and running XFCE4, it's been working flawlessly 'till tonight when I switched to it (on a seperate HDD)

Does this mean you moved your root installation to another hdd and now it doesn't work?

#5 2013-01-16 10:08:47

tomk
Forum Fellow

Network: make sure your network driver is loaded - if it's not, load it and see if eth0 shows up.

X: check your logs for clues.

Regarding how this happened, I guess it would be worth clarifying that what ngoonee said was "the last thing you changed", not "the last thing you did".

#6 2013-01-16 12:14:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

youngunix wrote:

Please know that I'm not here to dis Arch Linux or argue

If this is true, I'd strongly encourage a new title.  (Edit: thanks)

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-17 02:32:34)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2013-01-16 12:35:40

DSpider

Network and Xorg issues sounds to me like you did too much in one go.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … leshooting

Check the connection, check the driver status and load the module: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … figuration
If the network interface doesn't show up (eth0), read this part: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … Interfaces

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2013-01-16 15:12:48

Rezero

I had my own networking issue when installing Arch earlier today. I have a laptop with both a wired and wireless NIC, and neither eth0 nor wlan0 was detected when I tried bringing up the interfaces. Turns out udev renamed both interfaces to enp9s0 and wlp12s0 respectively. Why? I have no freaking clue, but I was able to bring them up and use them to install a network manager.

So if bringing up eth0 doesn't work, try running

dmesg | grep eth0

to find out if a new name was assigned to the interface.

#9 2013-01-16 15:21:12

SidK

Rezero wrote:

I had my own networking issue when installing Arch earlier today. I have a laptop with both a wired and wireless NIC, and neither eth0 nor wlan0 was detected when I tried bringing up the interfaces. Turns out udev renamed both interfaces to enp9s0 and wlp12s0 respectively. Why? I have no freaking clue, but I was able to bring them up and use them to install a network manager.

So if bringing up eth0 doesn't work, try running

dmesg | grep eth0

to find out if a new name was assigned to the interface.

See Predictable Network Interface Names.

This only affects new installs. On existing installs when updating to systemd-197 you're told about the change but it is disabled (keeping your eth0 and wlan0 interfaces names) until you explicitly enable the change.

#10 2013-01-16 15:23:11

drcouzelis
Website

Rezero wrote:

Turns out udev renamed both interfaces to enp9s0 and wlp12s0 respectively. Why? I have no freaking clue

Is this related to the recent update to the systemd package?

Persistent net naming rules have been shipped as disabled.
See /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules for more detail

Did you update your operating system without reading the notes? wink

Last edited by drcouzelis (2013-01-16 15:23:53)

#11 2013-01-16 16:06:16

ewaller
Administrator

Lets do a small sanity check.  Please post the output of
uname -a
and of
pacman -Qi linux

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#12 2013-01-16 20:34:55

youngunix
Website

First thanks guys for all the replies.
Second, I didn't realize the title would be such an offensive one, my apologies.
Third, replies to:
#4: no I didn't move root.
#5: drivers load automatically on boot.
#6: Didn't mean for it to sound flaming, but i'll change it.
#7: Thanks, I'll look into that.
#8: Thanks, I'll try that.
#9: I'll investigate.
#10: You might be right, I upgraded to systemd without noticing the changes.
#11: Coming right up!

#13 2013-01-16 21:21:29

youngunix
Website

uname -a:
Linux {HOSTNAME} 3.6.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT {DATE} i686 GNU/Linux
 pacman -Qi linux:
Linux
3.6.11-1
www.kernel.org
GPL2
base
kernel26=3.6.11
coreutils linux-firmware kmod mkinitcpio>=0.7
crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your country
nvidia
kernel26
kernel26
60200.00 KiB
Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@archlinux.org>
i686
{Build Date}
{Install Date}
Explicitly installed 
Yes
The linux kernel and modules 
ip addr | sed '/^[0-9]/!d;s/: <.*$//':
1: lo

for now, i'm still working on finding the issues.

#14 2013-01-16 21:23:05

anonymous_user

You should reboot first.

#15 2013-01-16 21:25:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

youngunix wrote:
uname -a:
3.6.10-1-ARCH
 pacman -Qi linux:
3.6.11-1

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#16 2013-01-16 21:36:34

youngunix
Website

jasonwryan wrote:
youngunix wrote:
uname -a:
3.6.10-1-ARCH
 pacman -Qi linux:
3.6.11-1

First thing I caught, I'm checking that right now, weird!

#17 2013-01-16 21:54:01

youngunix
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

You should reboot first.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help. It still shows two diffrent versions.

#18 2013-01-16 22:19:54

ewaller
Administrator

Any chance that the last time you updated the kernel that /boot was not mounted?  You can check by dismounting boot and checking to see if /boot is empty, or if it has a shiny new kernel and ram disk image in there.  If not, is it possible that your boot loader is not the one you think it is?

Do you use testing?  There was a recent problem in which the installation failed because the kernel could not be identified.  IIRC, It was a problem with 'file' that had been in testing for a while and was then removed.  Backing that down to the version in the main repositories fixed that problem.

I suggest you ensure that boot is mounted, and just reinstall core/linux.  Read the messages closely to see if there are any issues.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#19 2013-01-16 22:47:17

youngunix
Website

Something doesn't look right! I checked /boot which has a few folders and files including /boot and another folder that doesn't look right which is /home. ls /home gives me my Ubuntu username folder, and that OS is on a seperate HDD!? Ubuntu sdx is not mounted.

Last edited by youngunix (2013-01-16 22:48:40)

#20 2013-01-16 22:57:13

ewaller
Administrator

I would take a close look at /etc/fstab
Make sure that things are getting mounted where you think they are.  Are you using UUIDs, or /dev/sdxx callouts in that file?

---

#21 2013-01-17 02:00:10

youngunix
Website

ewaller wrote:

I would take a close look at /etc/fstab
Make sure that things are getting mounted where you think they are.  Are you using UUIDs, or /dev/sdxx callouts in that file?

unplugged ubuntu HDD and rebooted, now /boot does't show those folders. Fstab seems to be normal and using /dev/sda.
i'm still unable to get eth0 up or x and still shows 3.6.10 instead of 3.6.11!

#22 2013-01-17 02:02:19

anonymous_user

I would adjust your fstab to use UUIDs instead. Also try reinstalling the linux package and checking /boot again.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2013-01-17 02:02:51)

#23 2013-01-17 02:30:57

youngunix
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I would adjust your fstab to use UUIDs instead. Also try reinstalling the linux package and checking /boot again.

i'll leave fstab as is for now since everything mounts as it should. if reinstalling linux package requires internet connection then that's impossible at the moment. I need to get it to recognize 3.6.11 first, since

mkinitcpio -p linux:
ERROR: /lib/modules/3.6.10-1-ARCH is not a valid kernel module directory

since 3.6.11-1-ARCH exist in /lib/modules/ not the above one.

and this is the last command I ran when arch was working:

sudo pacman-Sy arch-install-scripts krb5

#24 2013-01-17 02:34:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Running -Sy $package is a recipe for breakage. Always run -Syu.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#25 2013-01-17 02:41:25

anonymous_user

When you do sudo pacman -S linux, it should just use the package in your cache. Unless you completed cleared pacman's cache that is.

Board footer