You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-21 18:45:07

JoshJeff

Need some help with dmenu

Okay so i have just installed dwm and dmenu. Switching to a tiled windows manager from openbox is kinda something to get used to! However if i could edit the dmenu it would be very good and ideal for me and make the perfect desktop. I have looked at the dmenu hacking thread but don't really know where to put any of the scripts. What i'm looking for is a brief explanation, is there a specific file where all of the dmenu attributes are stored? I am a newbie to arch linux so i am so sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.

#2 2013-01-21 19:20:20

anonymous_user

Re: Need some help with dmenu

It would help if you told us what you wanted to change about dmenu.

Things like fonts and colors can be changed by using flags/parameters. Also the dmenu executable (not to be confused with dmenu_run) is a blank menu, you can use it for different purposes.

#3 2013-01-21 19:39:17

JoshJeff

anonymous_user wrote:

It would help if you told us what you wanted to change about dmenu.

Things like fonts and colors can be changed by using flags/parameters. Also the dmenu executable (not to be confused with dmenu_run) is a blank menu, you can use it for different purposes.

Hey, thanks for the response. I don't want to change fonts or colors,  i want to change the executables on the menu it's self, there is many things on there and i have to scroll through for a while because i haven't sorted out my hotkeys, i would prefer to launch from the dmenu. For example i would add chromium, vim, cmus, etc to the menu.

#4 2013-01-21 19:50:24

anonymous_user

You know you can type letters rather than scroll through the entire list right?

As for the dmenu hacking thread, you just need to create the script and put it somewhere in your $PATH.

#5 2013-01-21 20:13:41

JoshJeff

anonymous_user wrote:

You know you can type letters rather than scroll through the entire list right?

As for the dmenu hacking thread, you just need to create the script and put it somewhere in your $PATH.

I have literally just realised it. I suppose i will have to do that for the time being smile

#6 2013-01-21 20:52:34

teateawhy
Website

Searching in the aur for dmenu you will also find some intersting stuff, like for example yeganesh.

#7 2013-01-21 23:55:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

#!/bin/bash
$(echo -en "chromium\nvim\ncmus\n" | dmenu)

That would do exactly what you asked for.  However launching vim from a script (and possibly cmus, I'm not familiar with it) would not be very useful.  Gvim would work, but vim would need a terminal - so you'd need something like "xterm -e vim".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer