You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 06:23:51

Jormundir

Screen Resolution in Virtual Box

Okay, my next obstacle.

I installed guest additions as the wiki instructed:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … _Additions

and have xorg installed, but with the minimum xorg-server package.

I read another forum post from awhile ago about hardcoding resolution in a GRUB config file, but I don't have the config file they spoke of, and I can't seem to find the post anymore.

Screen resizing doesn't appear to work. In changing the size of the virtual box window, the screen resolution remains the same. I'm not exactly sure shared-clipboard is working either, though I don't have a definitive test for that.

Syncing the host time and guest time seems to have worked though.

How do I go about enabling screen-resizing? I would prefer if it auto-resized based on the virtualbox window size, instead of hardcoding a bigger resolution. If that's possible.

#2 2013-01-22 06:30:46

CrashLog

Re: Screen Resolution in Virtual Box

Just to check, since I missed this once myself.
Did you do this?: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … g_services

"There are no problems, only opportunities for solutions."

#3 2013-01-22 06:36:45

Jormundir

I did do the VBoxClient-all &

#4 2013-01-22 18:48:11

hawaiicharles

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the minimum xorg-server package - just X with no desktop environment or window manager?  If so, I think that might be the issue.  As an experiment, you could clone your installation in Virtualbox, and install Xfce on the clone.  If you can resize the window with Xfce running, then you know you have everything configured properly.

For hard-coding a resolution at boot time, you can put "vga=792" in your grub config file.  I use syslinux, so I can't tell you for sure about grub.  But in syslinux, mine looks like this:

APPEND root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=792

You can google the keywords "vga resolution codes" to find codes for other settings, but 792 will give you 1024x768 with 24 bits.

Sorry I'm not much of an expert, but hopefully that will give you some avenues to pursue.

#5 2013-01-23 03:48:56

Jormundir

I meant I just installed xorg-server and no other packages.

Do you have to have a gui for resizing to work?

I cloned the vm and installed xorg-xinit and xorg-server-utils along with xorg-twm xorg-xclock and xterm (Ugly!), and resizing worked with that full GUI setup. I was wanting to have resizing with just the console, no GUI, though.

Last edited by Jormundir (2013-01-23 03:50:14)

#6 2013-01-23 06:44:01

DSpider

Jormundir wrote:

Do you have to have a gui for resizing to work?

I cloned the vm and installed xorg-xinit and xorg-server-utils along with xorg-twm xorg-xclock and xterm (Ugly!), and resizing worked with that full GUI setup. I was wanting to have resizing with just the console, no GUI, though.

The framebuffer doesn't resize, no. Not even the bootloader screen. For the VirtualBox guest additions to work, you need have Xorg running - and it doesn't matter if it's the butt-ugly xorg-twm, a lightweight Openbox/Fluxbox setup or even full-blown KDE. This is probably because of the "video" part from "vboxguest vboxsf vboxvideo".

If you just want the screen bigger, switch to Scale Mode (Host+C).

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer