You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-24 03:36:49

cfr

Re: [Solved] Why do I (sorta) have plymouth?

Well I think the claim is that something like plymouth is needed even if one doesn't care for splash screens.

So if the output is brought forwards, does plymouth do a better job of managing the output than systemd does without plymouth? That is, in what way would plymouth improve that?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#27 2013-01-24 14:59:55

alphaniner

cfr wrote:

Well I think the claim is that something like plymouth is needed even if one doesn't care for splash screens.

So if the output is brought forwards, does plymouth do a better job of managing the output than systemd does without plymouth? That is, in what way would plymouth improve that?

Yeah, I just re-read the email and you're correct. But talk of "I/O multiplexing to the user on console" pretty much goes over my head. I wonder if it has to do with handling occurences during boot which require user interaction but aren't of a nature that other services should be blocked?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#28 2013-01-25 02:03:38

cfr

Yes, it is way over my head too. But the claim made me curious...

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#29 2013-04-21 02:17:05

ClientAlive

PaulBx1 wrote:

You are right, the system log references to plymouth go only to Oct 25, sorry I assumed they continued.

However systemctl still says it's an error. Perhaps you are right about the "After" line, but I'm guessing there is some reference or call to plymouth either in the /etc/systemd or in /usr/lib/systemd files, that causes systemctl to throw an error. To me this is... sub-optimal. Errors should mean something. It gets hard to separate the wheat from the chaff otherwise.

What do you get with "systemctl list-units --all |grep error"?

I'm looking at a dmeseg log with the line: systemd[1]: Failed to load configuration for plymouth-start-service: No such file or directory

That log was generated today, 4.20.2013

Board footer