You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-26 19:14:46

Florax

[SOLVED] Different delete permissions on one folder

My friends ask me to run a server for our small neighborhood, for purposes like files share and things like that.
I learned Here that the user permission to delete any file is inherited only from the "father" folder.

As for the files share, I would like that each user will be able to upload his own files, and while any user will be able to read and download any file (read permission only),
only the owner user will have the ability to delete his own files.

At the moment there is main folder with 777 permissions for everyone, and within it each user opened his own directory.
This way when some files exist in the folder of another user you cannot delete his folder/files.
But this is bad for sorting needs, I want that any user who provide installation file will be able to put it in the "Installations" folder...

Most of the users are using ms-smb client to manage their files through my Samba server, and like that when one attempts to delete another-user's file from the main-full-permissions-for-everyone folder he even not receive that Linux warning: "remove write-protected file ‘file_name’? y"

Is there a way to do that on one directory?
I tried to learn about the ext filesystem "flags" just to find some flag to make the file delete-able only by the root, that not a solution.

Sorry for my bad English, not my native language...

Last edited by Florax (2013-01-27 11:29:14)

English is not my native language.

#2 2013-01-27 01:27:40

jv2112

Re: [SOLVED] Different delete permissions on one folder

http://www.expertslogin.com/linux-admin … suid-guid/

There are additional level of permisions you can set. Check out guid.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. Isaac Asimov - / -

#3 2013-01-27 05:58:55

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Read up on Access Control Lists (ACLs) too: http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/ACL/linux-acl.html

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2013-01-27 11:27:46

Florax

Thank you all very much,

I will read that all when I'll got the time, but for my purpose the Sticky Bit thing is very much enough.
Since I think it is very useful for multi-user use of the system, why there is not some simple Arch-Wiki about it?
Or maybe there is, but I am no good in searching?

English is not my native language.

Board footer