You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-28 17:41:38

TheGatorade

Windows keyboard layouts on Arch

Hi everyone,
I always wanted a Dvorak keyboard, so I swapped the keys in mine to get an italian Dvorak keyboard, the iDvorak.
Unfortunately Linux doesn't natively support this layout and the iDvorak team only released a Windows version.
I have the DLL file, can I convert it or use it in Linux somehow or I have to design my own Linux kbd layout?
Thanks big_smile

PS: This is the dll file

Last edited by TheGatorade (2013-01-28 17:44:19)

#2 2013-01-28 17:51:37

jakobcreutzfeldt

Re: Windows keyboard layouts on Arch

You'll have to design your own (man xmodmap).

Alternatively, you can try using a similar layout. The original Dvorak is quite close to the Italian one, except it doesn't allow accents. The Spanish Dvorak is similar as well, allowing accents, but it swaps 'h' and 'r'. Since Dvorak is supposed to be arranged according to letter  frequency, and I'm willing to bet that Italian is closer to Spanish than English in letter usage, the Spanish one might be even more appropriate for you than that Italian one!

Honestly, I'm surprised that none of the letters were moved from their English positions for the Italian one...it seems not much research went into it.

Edit: sorry, this post is confusing. Short answer: use Spanish Dvorak. That Italian one doesn't look good for Italian.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-01-28 17:54:38)

#3 2013-01-28 19:38:30

TheGatorade

Re: Windows keyboard layouts on Arch

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

You'll have to design your own (man xmodmap).

Alternatively, you can try using a similar layout. The original Dvorak is quite close to the Italian one, except it doesn't allow accents. The Spanish Dvorak is similar as well, allowing accents, but it swaps 'h' and 'r'. Since Dvorak is supposed to be arranged according to letter  frequency, and I'm willing to bet that Italian is closer to Spanish than English in letter usage, the Spanish one might be even more appropriate for you than that Italian one!

Honestly, I'm surprised that none of the letters were moved from their English positions for the Italian one...it seems not much research went into it.

Edit: sorry, this post is confusing. Short answer: use Spanish Dvorak. That Italian one doesn't look good for Italian.

Thank you for your answer. I will try it.

Board footer