You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-28 16:49:52

abhirathb

login incorrect for all users

Hi,
I have been happily running an arch installation on my laptop. Until today, suddenly, after a session, I left the laptop on sleep and after coming back, it wouldnt login to my standard username as well as to root. I tried to login through TTYs too but failed.
I googled stuff and tried to remove the password entry for both root and my username in the /etc/shadow file (using an ubuntu live CD). Doing that, the prompt returns a login incorrect as soon as i enter the usernames. Similarly, I have tried to chroot into the rootfs and use the passwd command and again to no avail....

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … ed-881131/

I found the above post with a simillar issue but i couldn't figure out the exact solution the user talks about..
Please help out here

Cheers!

#2 2013-01-28 22:57:32

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: login incorrect for all users

If it doesn't work to chroot and change the password something is horribly wrong, Unless somebody else figures out something better, reinstallation or replacing /lib and /usr/lib as he did. Sorry for not being able to give better help, good luck!

#3 2013-01-29 05:00:29

abhirathb

what exactly do u mean by replacing...where do I get them from??
And can anybody think of possible cause of this issue??
Besides...I believe a clean install must be quite the better idea

#4 2013-01-29 06:30:17

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Oh yeah, clean install is like 100x easier unless your install is old and you got tons of programs and customization that you don't wanna lose. It should work to just copy the /lib and /usr/lib directiories from the Installation CD, but yeah, clean install is easier.

Board footer