You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-02 09:59:44

smsware
Website

[SOLVED] Can tmpfs decrease performance?

I've lately edited my fstab and added tmpfs on /tmp. After that, firefox is running better but when I play a game on my chrooted Wine - I can feel it's tearing. I changed a couple of things too (like updating my system both with chrooted system and installed a lot of stuff) so I'm not really sure if it's that... can it be that?

Last edited by smsware (2013-02-05 01:01:00)

#2 2013-02-02 10:08:32

gnux83

Re: [SOLVED] Can tmpfs decrease performance?

Hi,

did you check if you are running out of memory? This may happen because if you're using the tmpfs more RAM would be needed and maybe pages obtained by wine are going to be swapped ...

However I don't know if there is an other swapping policy for RAM-pages consumed by tmpfs.

regards,
gux

#3 2013-02-02 11:14:52

65kid

smsware wrote:

I've lately edited my fstab and added tmpfs on /tmp. After that, firefox is running better but when I play a game on my chrooted Wine - I can feel it's tearing. I changed a couple of things too (like updating my system both with chrooted system and installed a lot of stuff) so I'm not really sure if it's that... can it be that?

/tmp is mounted as tmpfs by default by systemd, your fstab entry probably didn't even have any effect.

#4 2013-02-05 01:00:47

smsware
Website

65kid wrote:
smsware wrote:

/tmp is mounted as tmpfs by default by systemd, your fstab entry probably didn't even have any effect.

Eh, I've returned to Arch after a year and so many changes. Anyway, I've found my culprit: SNA acceleration method which should have add me some frames per secound, not lessen the numbers! ;-)

Board footer