You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-15 23:27:48

dakoellis

Strange Boxes in Gnome 3.6 favorites and using chrome

Hi All,
I just installed Arch today after getting tired of the issues with fedora and I like what I'm seeing so far, except for one thing.  sometimes all of my icons in the overlay for Gnome Shell turn into yellow or brown striped boxes.  I can remove them and add them and they look fine, but just randomly while using the computer or after every restart, they change.  Any ideas to what's going on?  I would post a picture but it doesn't seem like that's allowed here.

Also, I am wondering if it is possible to install chrome in arch.  I tried pacman -S google-chrome but that didn't seem to work.  I am currently using chromium, but I would rather use chrome if possible.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by dakoellis (2013-03-15 23:42:57)

#2 2013-03-16 00:22:30

ximun

Re: Strange Boxes in Gnome 3.6 favorites and using chrome

Can't help you with the Gnome-related issue, but you can get Google Chrome from the AUR.

"The problem is, after a week of intense googling, we’ve started to burn out on knowing the answer to everything. God must feel that way all the time. I think people in the year 2020 are going to be nostalgic for the sensation of feeling clueless." Douglas Coupland - jPod

#3 2013-03-17 17:57:32

dakoellis

Thanks for the response.  I got Chrome installed.  still having trouble with the weird Icons though.  Should I maybe post somewhere else?  As you can see, I am very new to these forums and still trying to figure out where everything is and should go.

#4 2013-03-19 22:18:39

ximun

I'd edit the OP and remove the part about Gnome, then post in Applications & Desktop Environments.

"The problem is, after a week of intense googling, we’ve started to burn out on knowing the answer to everything. God must feel that way all the time. I think people in the year 2020 are going to be nostalgic for the sensation of feeling clueless." Douglas Coupland - jPod

#5 2013-03-19 23:19:35

Max-P

Post the picture, that will sure help.

I think what's diallowed is to post screenshots of terminals or other information that would be much better in text format. A graphical glitch, on the other hand, can only be demonstrated by a picture (and some explanations with it, to make it easy to find it through search engines).

What graphic driver are you using? That glitch really sounds like 2D rendering errors, which might be related to your graphic driver.

Board footer