You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-23 11:10:31

summershere

Automatically play video

Hi all

I'm trying to come up with a way to do the following automatically on startup, using a Raspberry Pi:

1. Open a web browser
2. Go to a URL
3. Start playing the embedded video (HTML5)
4. Set the video to fullscreen

Can you think of a way this might be achieved? Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

#2 2013-04-23 11:16:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Automatically play video

First, you should probably ask on the archlinuxarm forums, that is a different distro with different configuration.

Second, you'll need to give them a lot more information: you boot automatically into X, I assume, right?  What WM/DE?  How does it autostart: display manager, xinit in bashrc, etc?

I can think of dozens of ways to do this, many of them can be found by a quick googling.  Have you done your own search? What results have you found?  What have you tried already?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-04-23 11:20:19

Awebb

Does it need to be a webbrowser? Can't you feed the video url to mplayer or something?

#4 2013-04-23 11:40:58

summershere

Trilby wrote:

First, you should probably ask on the archlinuxarm forums, that is a different distro with different configuration.

Second, you'll need to give them a lot more information: you boot automatically into X, I assume, right?  What WM/DE?  How does it autostart: display manager, xinit in bashrc, etc?

I can think of dozens of ways to do this, many of them can be found by a quick googling.  Have you done your own search? What results have you found?  What have you tried already?

It's not set up yet at all, so am looking for all sorts of answers really. My initial thought was that I would boot into X, but if there is an x-free way of doing it, even better.

I have done some googling, but I realise I'm being fairly specific, so that's probably why I haven't come up with anything all that helpful yet.

#5 2013-04-23 11:43:29

summershere

Awebb wrote:

Does it need to be a webbrowser? Can't you feed the video url to mplayer or something?

It will keep it simple on the source end if it's a web browser, as then it can just stream from any number of sources. Doesn't have to be though... I just might find my learning curve is even bigger if it's not..

#6 2013-04-23 12:49:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No, you're not being specific, quite the opposite.  There are far too many options - I, at least, am not going to list them all for you.  I also see an "X-Y problem" coming.  Can you describe what your actual goal is?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2013-04-23 14:04:34

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

summershere, please see our policy regarding support for other distros :: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … pport_ONLY

You should ask ARM related question on their boards.

Closed...

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer