You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-25 12:26:25

r4ptor

Mount encrypted os x timemaschine volume

Hi guys,

having a little problem here.

I switched from OS X 10.7 to arch a few weeks ago. Migrated all the data(at least i thought so) and was happy. Now I recognized I forgot to backup a important TrueCrypt keyfile. Well....fu** big_smile

So here is the problem. I saved my backups over the OS X timemaschine at an external raid, and the timemaschine backup was encrypted with the OS X on board tools.

I found the libfvde project, but it requires the wipekey file. Since Arch is the only OS running on my macbook right now, I don't have any files of OS X left(beside the files in the encrypted external hdd).

Does anybody know if there is a way to gain access to the files in the encrypted hdd without installing OS X again?

I know that's a little bit specific and maybe better in a mac forum, but I thought I give it a try here.

Thanks smile

#2 2013-04-25 19:25:36

r4ptor

Re: Mount encrypted os x timemaschine volume

Ok, worked it out with a Macbook with 10.7 from a friend. Just in time, i copied the important files to an USB stick, saved them on a second ssd, powered off the raid, powered it on again, now OS X tells me that it can't read the volume any more.
Wtf?
Anyway, got my files, now formating the raid, encrypt it and use it as backup volume again. This time with opensource encryption

Board footer