You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-23 08:30:10

vadimkolchev

Ipad 4 music from Archlinux?

Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone managed to transfer music to iPad 4 from Archlinux to play in a native app. Is this possible without jailbreaking the device? Hope for the positive answer smile Thanks in advance for everyone who will be trying to help.

#2 2013-04-23 08:47:43

mzneverdies

Re: Ipad 4 music from Archlinux?

Try clementine, I don't own an iphone/ipod/ipad myself, but so far i've heard good results (for ipods at least).

#3 2013-04-23 08:48:30

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Welcome to Arch.  Most in the community value users who show they have tried to solve their own problems before posting.  Have you tried using google?  Many pieces of software exist for linux to do this.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2013-04-23 08:50:49

vadimkolchev

Hi and thanks for your welcome and answers. Yes, I did try to accomplish it, but failed. The fact is that I can't mount my iPad and the libimobiledevice library seems to be of no help here. Therefore it doesn't show up anywhere. It has no FAT 32 filesystem, like some of the older ipods, that could be mounted and there have been almost no problem it transferring music to it.

#5 2013-04-23 13:14:18

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

vadimkolchev wrote:

The fact is that I can't mount my iPad and the libimobiledevice library seems to be of no help...

This is a totally different post smile. You may need to experiment with the git version of libmobile in order to get it to read from a 4th ipad.  I do not know if the current stable does.  See the AUR for a git package.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#6 2013-04-23 15:11:13

WonderWoofy

I wonder if yuo might need the hfsplus drivers... I don't own an ipad either, so I cannot comment specifically on this.  But I know that if it is not FAT32, it is likely HFS+Journaled, which our kernel does not natively support (rightly so since it is ahighly proprietary filesystem).  But this functionality can be added with an AUR package called hfsprogs.

#7 2013-04-26 14:37:43

vadimkolchev

Well, got everything you advised and made iPad 4 show up in rhythmbox and gtkpod, but still was unable to transfer anyhing to it via cable. Solved the issue cardinally - traded iPad for Acer Iconia Tab a210 and also got the money. Now I'm all linux and do not regret. Freedom is everything, anyways))

#8 2013-04-26 15:23:31

WonderWoofy

Yeah, I too have stopped using iDevices because of their poor compatibility with Linux (amongst other reasons).  But I do still have an iPod nano.  It is the model just before the stoopid tiny square touchscreen.  I has the stoopid tiny square touchscreen and it did not play ver ynice with Linux.  I am not sure how it does these days, but it took it to a used video game store and traded it straight across for a generation older, and it works fine.

I do still keep the hfsprogs package installed on my machine so that I can help my family fix their computers sometimes.  Besides my *nix machines, the rest of my family are apple users.

Board footer