You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-11 20:12:14

jasuramme

/usr as squashFS

Good day,
That's my very first post here, so I placed it in newbie corner.
That's a question:
I want to use squashfs'ed system to have extra space, but I've read, that there are no proper unionfs-like file systems avialable?
Is that true?
As far as I understood, all of them have very low performance.
Or there is some which workes fast under new kernel?

And another question.
I managed to run /usr in squashfs system.
It is mounted in /dev/sqfs/usr and I have one another folder, which consist of directory tree and symbolic links to each file in /dev/sqfs/usr. I mount it into /usr by -o bind mount. That makes system writable
I decided that it will give better perfomance, than aufs. or I'm wrong?
Just I wondering, if it is good enough and leave it like that, or try to use aufs or smth like.

Cheers,
Jasuramme

Last edited by jasuramme (2013-05-11 20:13:17)

#2 2013-05-11 20:40:14

WonderWoofy

Re: /usr as squashFS

There is an aufs option, but aufs has never been in the mainline kernel. So you ahve to patch it in yourself and then compile the kernel.  There is an aufs kernel in the AUR, and the linux-pf kernel also has aufs capabilities.  Otherwise you would have to use the unionfs-fuse package, which will indeed give you worse performance.

I know that someone actually hosts a linux-pf repo somewhere.  This would really make your life a lot easier.  With so frequent kernel updates with Arch Linux, having to recompile the kernel everytime might end up being a PITA.  So if you can just set pacman to have seamless updates will probably be far better.

About the way you have it set up, I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I also think that has the very large possibility of leading to issues if not tended to with great care.  So in the end, I actually think that even if you decide to patch and compile your own kernel upon every release, it will probably be easier than taking care of what you have going now.

Edit:  BTW, lets be honest here... that is not your first post, as you have clearly started with the Hello Everyone thread. wink

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-05-11 20:41:11)

#3 2013-05-11 21:16:45

jasuramme

Re: /usr as squashFS

Sorry, but it's truу - Hello everyone was second post smile You can check by time.

Ok, I will look for that. I started to do that because I was afraid to lose performance.
I will look for linux-pf

Thanls for reply

Will I lose read/write speed in case of use linux-pf? and aufs? Cannot find it in archwiki

Last edited by jasuramme (2013-05-11 21:24:00)

Board footer