You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-03 14:02:21

sevens

Help with Gnome 3.8

Hello, I'm having trouble grasping this and searching for help has only confused me. I have gnome 3.8 and I use gnome-tweak-tool to install my favorite themes and what not. Well, on other distros that came preinstalled with gnome, I used to be able to change the look of the window by editing the metacity .css file. This would allow me to make the window borders smaller, or remove them all together. Well, after installing gnome 3.8 and editing the .css, nothing happens to the window borders. From what I understand I don't have metacity window manager installed under gnome? I tried doing a pacman -S metacity, it installed, and then i read a suggestion to run "metacity --replace". Well, that completely disabled all of my gnome-tweak extensions, and all my desktop customizations. My question is do I have to install metacity in order to make the changes to the window decorations? And if so, how do I get it to run along side gnome 3.8 without messing anything up and disabling my extensions. If any of this sounds stupid I apologize, thanks in advance

#2 2013-07-03 14:27:23

fledermann

Re: Help with Gnome 3.8

You should be able to change the window manager theme with gnome-tweak-tool. IIRC it only finds your themes if you put them in ~/.local/share/themes or /usr/share/themes instead of ~/.themes.

#3 2013-07-03 14:32:36

matanya

gnome 3 comes with mutter as the window manager, not with metacity. your extensions and tweaks changed mutter, replacing it with metacity broke it all.

I think it is better for you to go back to mutter and try to achieve your desire using mutter.

#4 2013-07-03 14:44:47

sevens

Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding matanya. Is there any chance someone could further help me on how to change window decorations with mutter? In my theme folder, theres a GTK-3 folder which im guessing holds the settings to change window decorations? Or do I have to do it another way

#5 2013-07-03 19:12:11

matanya

Edit /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml to play with decoration, especially the < frame_geometry name="max"  > part for maximized windows.

I guess you can understand it yourself, once reading the file. This assumes you are using the default theme adwaita.

Best of luck.

Board footer