You are not logged in.

#26 2013-07-03 15:36:28

MickeyRat

Re: What should I know/learn before installing Arch?

alphaniner wrote:

I would recommend vim (in extra repository) rather than vi (in core repository and part of 'base' when installing). Vim is "vi improved" but it should be called vimu, "vi made useful". In Ubuntu I think vi is symlinked or aliased to vim, but they are two different beasts in Arch. Though in a Linux context, I think most people mean vim when they say vi.

I use vim as well.  I actually install gvim. The systems I run on at work use it too.  However, I have seen a couple instances where you wind up in regular VI on those systems because vi is aliased to vim.  For example is when doing a crontab -e.  I guess it depends on the brand of Ubuntu.  On Mint (Ubuntu based), I had to install gvim to get vim at the command line as well.  That said, if you know VI, vim will work fine for you.

Last edited by MickeyRat (2013-07-03 15:58:59)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde

#27 2013-07-03 15:45:32

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

alphaniner wrote:

I would recommend vim (in extra repository) rather than vi (in core repository and part of 'base' when installing). Vim is "vi improved" but it should be called vimu, "vi made useful". In Ubuntu I think vi is symlinked or aliased to vim, but they are two different beasts in Arch. Though in a Linux context, I think most people mean vim when they say vi.

Actually, if memory serves, Arch's version of vi is actually just a version of vim with a bunch of features disabled. There was some talk on the mailing lists a while ago about removing vi altogether and just shipping vim in [core], I sincerely hope this happens.

All the best,

-HG

#28 2013-07-03 16:00:40

bohoomil
Website

Rohdehoved wrote:

is there something that I should learn before?

Yes:

1. to read and understand what you read,
2. to use and re-use available resources (man pages, Wikis, examples and file snippets provided by other users, etc).

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#29 2013-07-03 16:16:09

alphaniner

HalosGhost wrote:

Actually, if memory serves, Arch's version of vi is actually just a version of vim with a bunch of features disabled.

Either way, Arch's vi functions a lot like the vi I've used on Unix machines. Also

$ pacman -Si vi
Description    : The original ex/vi text editor.

So even if it is a limited vim, I think it's intended to function like vi.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#30 2013-07-03 16:34:36

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

alphaniner wrote:

So even if it is a limited vim, I think it's intended to function like vi.

Oh, most certainly (that's what all the feature disabling does); I just meant to point out that someday soon, Arch might not even have a vi ( big_smile )

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2013-07-03 16:34:49)

#31 2013-07-03 23:59:52

Rohdehoved

Oh yeah lol, fail. Shit happens -https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=166048

On my phone now, just got home from work, it's 2am now, I'll head to bed, but look at a response on that thread when I wake up. Thanks so far though.

#32 2013-07-04 03:58:21

sqlpython

Come on guys,  back on topic. Please.
Also, please remember that try to respect other operating systems and distributions.  Legitimate complaints are okay, but broad brushed condemnations laced with profanities are not within this communities' norm.

{Applause}

#33 2013-07-04 04:26:47

dag

I just uninstall vi and sem-link vim as the primary.

Last edited by dag (2013-07-04 04:30:08)

--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

Board footer