You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-25 01:06:25

Nobabs27

Pacman Help for a Newb

I have Arch running in Virtual Box, I wanted to test it out before I install it on my computer.
I just spent 3 hours installing Arch Linux, finally booted it, logged in....and I try sudo -S lxde .... it says "could not lock host" I believe, so i deleted "/var/lib/pacman/db.lck" .... now when I try pacman -Syu it spams that error retrieving extra.db, multilib.db, core.db and community.db from (ftp/mirror here): Could Not Resolve Host.
Curl nor Ping will work on www.google.com....  Is there a way to regen those files?  Or am I looking at a total reinstall?
Help Appreciated! :D

Facepalm.

#2 2014-01-25 01:15:22

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: Pacman Help for a Newb

Nobabs27 wrote:

Could Not Resolve Host.
Curl nor Ping will work on www.google.com....

Do you mean that curl and ping do not work, or that curl or ping work? I'm confused by the use of "nor" here.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2014-01-25 01:16:09)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2014-01-25 01:15:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Um ... I don't know where to start here.  It is very obvious that there are many typos/mistakes or copy-paste errors in your short post, so it is hard to know what you are trying to do, what has actually happened, or what the next steps should be.

The first step, however, should be to take much more care to pay attention to what you are typing*.  Think about what the command means and what it should do, don't just type out random commands (especially with sudo) without knowing exactly what they are going to do.

Now, can you clarify what you are trying to do, exactly what command(s) you enter, and exactly what the returned result is?

*edit: this is meant for commands you enter not your forum posts.  The lack of care and precision in the post, leads me to suspect that you might be as quick with entering commands and they may be malformed or mistyped.  This itself would cause all sorts of problems.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-01-25 01:17:07)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2014-01-25 01:25:16

Nobabs27

Quick replies o.o Thank you big_smile
Ping didn't work.  Curl, also, didn't work. :3
I can't copy and paste.
This is the general result of doing 'sudo pacman -Syu':
"failed retrieving file 'multilib/community/core/extra.db' from 'ftp/mirror here' Could not resolve host: 'ftp/mirror here'"
What I am trying to do is install programs using pacman, and be able to successfully ping www.google.com etc...

Facepalm.

#5 2014-01-25 01:31:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks for the clarification - that makes a lot more sense.

There looks to be two problems: first, you are not connected to the internet.  There are good pages on the wiki on how to connect.  If - after you try to follow them - you need more help, please clarify how you are trying to connect (wireless, ethernet, any peculiarities of the set up ...) and what steps you have tried.  You said this was a VM, so it will most likely be an ethernet connection - even if the physical computer connects wirelessly, the VM will most likely be provided with a virtualized ethernet connection.

Second, your /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and/or /etc/pacman.conf are problematic (this is assuming the "ftp/mirror here" is actually what the output said).

Edit: I don't know why you only responded to the second issue when it was clearly stated that that only applied assuming "ftp/mirror here" was the actual output when it was not.  This is also one of the reason I specifically asked for the *exact* output you were getting.  Redacted or revised error message provide your would be helpers with false information.  It certainly is not always practical to post the entire output and understandable to snip out some bits - but you'll need to be very clear in your posts when you have done this.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-01-25 14:02:12)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2014-01-25 01:33:11

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please don't sprinkle your posts with emoticons, it makes them difficult to read and adds nothing to the signal other than an irritant for those trying to help.
See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2014-01-25 01:39:32

Nobabs27

"ftp/mirror here" isn't what it said, it tried all mirrors in it's list I think... it would be impossible to list them all as they all scroll past VERY fast.
Example: "failed retrieving file multilib.db from archlinux.goodsoft.lv Could not resolve host: archlinux.goodsoft.lv"
Before this it said:
error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

I did "rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck"

That's when the current problem started.

Last edited by Nobabs27 (2014-01-25 01:43:20)

Facepalm.

#8 2014-01-25 01:53:45

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Nobabs27 wrote:

I did "rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck"

That's when the current problem started.

But not really. You were probably never connected to the internet. Please follow Trilby's instructions and search the wiki (did you use the Beginners' Guide for your install? That's a good place to start) and tell us what you have done to try to establish an internet connection, and specifically what commands you used and any error messages you received.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … he_network

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#9 2014-01-25 02:52:56

WonderWoofy

The reason why Trilby is probably indicating potential issues with your mirrorlist is because ftp mirrors no longer exist.  So if your setup is configured to try to connect to any of those, you're going to have a bad time.

As others have already said, please go work through the excellent documentation in our wiki regarding networking and come back if you have specific issues with the process.

Board footer