You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-21 06:53:44

CPUnltd
Website

QEMU and SOUND: What's missing here?

This topic has been touched on before, but no definitive answer seems to have come up.  Various people have had consistant problems with getting their audio working within QEMU while running Arch as the host.  My research has lead me to believe that a functional .asoundrc file in the home folder of the user running QEMU is necessary.  Can anyone confirm this?  Also, how does this affect those using PulseAudio (such as myself)?  This issue has been lingering for years without a viable solution, and I'm ready to see one! 

I hadn't thought about it, since I usually use QEMU for purposes that never require sound, but I'm running into issues with sound and a game that is not yet in the repos or AUR and figured I'd try running it within QEMU with ALSA so I don't have to destroy my PA setup in order to revert to ALSA on my host system and test sound for this game.  So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and not sure which direction to go at this point.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I'm sure that everyone out there looking to have this issue dealt with in Arch, but not sure how to ask (or haven't gotten around to asking) in a different way than what's been brought up so far would love a difinitive answer just as much as I would... so ANY help would be great and I sincerely HOPE we are able to pool our resources together and fix this issue.  I'm just not sure what a fully functional .asoundrc file looks like at this point (especially one that is able to not interfere with a pulseaudio install)...

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2012-03-21 07:50:52

DSpider

Re: QEMU and SOUND: What's missing here?

What makes you think it's Arch-specific?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-03-27 06:11:35

CPUnltd
Website

Well, the issue is not on Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, or Unity Linux (which are the other three I've either tried personally or researched) and the question doesn't seem to get asked often outside of Arch's Forums... Those are my primary reasons for believing that this is likely Arch-Specific... narrowing it down to how Arch handles ALSA, as it's not really all that traditional from what I can tell...

#4 2012-03-27 12:43:04

Lone_Wolf

Is this problem qemu specific or also present when using qemu-kvm ?

I run several windows VM with qemu-kvm and never had problems with sound (apart from finding the windows drivers)
Note : i use alsa only with default settings, there is not even a asoundrc file on my system.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2012-03-27 18:56:32

CPUnltd
Website

so far, it's been the same on every version of qemu I've installed.  Standard, -kvm, and at least two other builds from AUR...

#6 2012-03-28 10:04:47

Lone_Wolf

I've tested KDE, LXDE and XFCE on my systems with alsa default settings and had no sound problems with qemu.

What WM/DE do/did you use on he distros Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, or Unity Linux you tested and on archlinux ?
Do those other distros have a asound.rc in the users home folders and have you tried that asound.rc on archlinux ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2012-03-28 10:05:07)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2014-03-13 15:39:19

sudoman

this may be old, but others might search for this problem. I'm on a different distro, but this is what helped me:

QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -vga vmware -soundhw ac97 -hda os.img

take note of QEMU_AUDIO_DRV and -soundhw. you can also set -soundhw all. see -soundhw ? for available cards.

#8 2014-04-07 21:23:15

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Thanks sudoman for providing a potential solution. I'll close this thread now to avoid further necros.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer