You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-11 22:52:11

jantonio2992

[SOLVED]Installing printer connected via usb to router

Edit: The solution for me, was to simply use the linux machine as the "server" for printing instead of setting it up on the router.

Hello,

I apologise is this isn't the best sub-forum to place this.

I have this HP OfficeJet 6210 connected to the usb port of the router(which is the router my ISP gave me) and with a Windows computer(yes, sadly we still need it) we can just add the printer and send whatever we want to print and it will work as it should. With my Linux machines i can only set up the printer as a local printer, so every time we want to print anything and we're using a Linux computer we have to come to the office and disconnect the printer usb cable from the router and connect it to the pc.

But it seems to me that i should be able to set up the printer in the Linux computers so that it can be used not as a local printer but as a network printer like we can with the Windows computer. I googled around and it seems i could use a device called "jetDirect" and it would ask as an ethernet translator between the network and the printer, this is not an option because of budget retrains and because it would probably be a bit hard to find it around here.

Second option i saw was using a machine to use as a server to which the printer is connected via usb and considered a local printer in that machine. This might be an option i take if i can't set it up to work as with the Windows machine.

The question i would be very thankful if someone could answer(and maybe help me make it work) is: Is it possible to set up the printer on the Linux computers as i did with the Windows computer?

I've been trying to set ip up with cups admin webpage, with hplip and system-config-printer, and every time i ask either on the system-config-printer and on the cups admin webpage to print a test page, the printer gets disabled(on policies i have to set the state to enable) and its state gets defined as "Stopped - Rendering completed".

I've added the printer on cups admin webpage with the address its given to me by the router so: " http://zonhub.home:631/printers/6210 ", zon being the ISP, 6210 its the name i gave instead of 'HPOfficeJet6200" because i thought a shorter name could help, and the router model is Hitron BVW3653 Board .

Thank you for taking time reading this.

P.S.: if you know links to read about this and don't feel like explaining much please feel free to post it just like that(i hope that this doesn't violate forum rules), because most of what i could find googl'ing was posts about setting up a machine with a printer and share it or posts about using the JetDirect.

Last edited by jantonio2992 (2014-07-12 19:15:27)

#2 2014-07-12 00:49:18

Buddlespit

Re: [SOLVED]Installing printer connected via usb to router

My printer is connected to my router via usb, my router is set up to share that usb as a printer and my archlinux computer prints to it. Set up your printer on your Linux computer by making it look for the printer at socket://path.to.router:9100. On my system, that would be socket://192.168.1.1:9100. Ignore the period after the port, that's just end-of-sentence punctuation. Make sure you have avahi, cups and drivers (I would assume you would use hplip) installed and cups and avahi services started.

#3 2014-07-12 12:26:39

jantonio2992

Buddlespit wrote:

My printer is connected to my router via usb, my router is set up to share that usb as a printer and my archlinux computer prints to it. Set up your printer on your Linux computer by making it look for the printer at socket://path.to.router:9100. On my system, that would be socket://192.168.1.1:9100. Ignore the period after the port, that's just end-of-sentence punctuation. Make sure you have avahi, cups and drivers (I would assume you would use hplip) installed and cups and avahi services started.

Hello,

Thank you very much for helping me but I'm afraid that same solution won't happen here. Even tough my router's ip is the same as yours, when i set the printer as a socket it doesn't make any connection. CUPS says the printer is not responding. Is there any log i can look for more info?

#4 2014-07-12 19:14:01

jantonio2992

Since i couldn't in anyway to add the printer to the linux computer i decided to try and set the printer as local on the linux machine and then configure the printer as remote from the windows machine. Couldn't be easier. Just follower the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU … er_sharing and it was really easy.

I want to apologise to the mods and admins for posting here such easy situations that maybe wouldn't need to be here.

Marking as solved.

P.s.: Arch community thank you very much for such a great wiki.

Board footer