You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-12 21:28:12

rev0ltz

[SOLVED] Xfce looks bad

Hey,
some days ago I installed my first Linux distro, Xubuntu (dual booting with Windows 8.1). Had some problems with tearing (something to do with my Radeon HD 7850), so today I decided to install Arch, hoping to fix it.

Installed X, ATI open source drivers, ALSA and Xfce4.
My desktop was awful, so I thought I had to install another (stacking) window manager. Tried compiz but its git is unavailable (for quite some time apparently). Currently using Metacity.

How it looks: 88O34bss.png
Now with proper resolution/Infinality font rendering: GIUOnhAs.png
I thought that if I installed Xfce and Greybird theme it would seem like Xubuntu.

Is compiz 0.8.9 available somewhere? How do I make it look better?
Thanks

Last edited by rev0ltz (2014-07-13 19:16:25)

#2 2014-07-12 22:22:49

toz

Re: [SOLVED] Xfce looks bad

Change the window manager theme to Greybird as well (Settings Manager >> Window Manager >> Style). Make sure you have gtk-engine-murrine installed.
To get the panels to look like the Xubuntu screenshot, changing the properties of the panels, specifically on the Panel Appearance tab, the Style and Alpha settings. You'll need to have the compositor (Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Compositor) enabled to do so.
And for the icons, look at the elementary-icon-theme and aur/elementary-xfce-icons

#3 2014-07-12 23:51:37

rev0ltz

toz wrote:

Change the window manager theme to Greybird as well (Settings Manager >> Window Manager >> Style). Make sure you have gtk-engine-murrine installed.
To get the panels to look like the Xubuntu screenshot, changing the properties of the panels, specifically on the Panel Appearance tab, the Style and Alpha settings. You'll need to have the compositor (Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Compositor) enabled to do so.
And for the icons, look at the elementary-icon-theme and aur/elementary-xfce-icons

It did exactly what I need, thanks man!
I am still messing around with some configs like LightDM, so I won't put this as "solved" for now.
Ty!

#4 2014-07-12 23:54:34

toz

I am still messing around with some configs like LightDM, so I won't put this as "solved" for now.

Ok, but lightdm is not part of Xfce. Its a display manager that can be used to start Xfce (and other DEs).

#5 2014-07-13 19:16:05

rev0ltz

toz wrote:

Ok, but lightdm is not part of Xfce. Its a display manager that can be used to start Xfce (and other DEs).

Yeah everything is fine now, thanks again :]

Board footer