You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-04 14:17:19

Aventinus
Member
From: Grand Line
Registered: 2010-09-11
Posts: 138
Website

How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

I've searched but found nothing. Is there anyway to do it?

Thanks in advance.


"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline

#2 2011-05-04 16:41:31

mirandir
Member
Registered: 2010-11-09
Posts: 55
Website

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

Hi,

I'm not sure, but it seems the panel don't support real transparency, even in Gnome 3.

[EDIT] Source : http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/ … nel!#c5272

Last edited by mirandir (2011-05-04 16:44:03)

Offline

#3 2011-05-04 16:48:38

Aventinus
Member
From: Grand Line
Registered: 2010-09-11
Posts: 138
Website

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

Hmm, I hope in the future it will support transparency. Having transparent bar makes the DE a lot more elegant.


"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline

#4 2011-05-04 17:23:13

mirandir
Member
Registered: 2010-11-09
Posts: 55
Website

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

I hope too, real transparency would be great. At least, the Gnome 3 panel is more beautiful than in Gnome 2.

Offline

#5 2011-05-04 17:26:18

Aventinus
Member
From: Grand Line
Registered: 2010-09-11
Posts: 138
Website

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

mirandir wrote:

I hope too, real transparency would be great. At least, the Gnome 3 panel is more beautiful than in Gnome 2.

I'd say it's a lot more beautiful! GNOME 2 was totally ugly and had to be heavily customized to be made pretty.


"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline

#6 2011-05-04 18:27:58

kimura
Member
Registered: 2011-05-04
Posts: 1

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

Hi

This is my first post here ;-)

To get gnome-shell panel transparency, try this:

Edit the panel section in /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css to:

#panel {
    color: #ffffff;
    /*background-color: black;*/
    background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.6);
    /*border-image: url("panel-border.svg") 1;*/
}

where rgba(0,0,0,0.6) is the alpha channel.

This worked for me.

Not sure about posting a link to ubuntu forums here, but...

source:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … tcount=698

Offline

#7 2011-05-04 18:42:57

eldragon
Member
From: Buenos Aires
Registered: 2008-11-18
Posts: 1,026

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

what i dont like about editing /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/ is that an update is likely to hose everything up..

so i would backup all customizations just to be safe wink

Offline

#8 2011-05-07 16:14:29

Aventinus
Member
From: Grand Line
Registered: 2010-09-11
Posts: 138
Website

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

kimura wrote:

Hi

This is my first post here ;-)

To get gnome-shell panel transparency, try this:

Edit the panel section in /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css to:

#panel {
    color: #ffffff;
    /*background-color: black;*/
    background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.6);
    /*border-image: url("panel-border.svg") 1;*/
}

where rgba(0,0,0,0.6) is the alpha channel.

This worked for me.

Not sure about posting a link to ubuntu forums here, but...

source:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … tcount=698

That worked out great kimura! Thanks! And don't worry about posting a thread from Ubuntu Forums. Linux distros should support each other!

I have another thing though. Right now my upper bar is transparent but the calendar and user widgets are like they used to. I wonder how can I fix this...


"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Offline

#9 2011-05-07 18:30:45

kolos
Member
Registered: 2010-05-15
Posts: 55

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

you can also use gradients
#panel {
    color: #ffffff;
    background-gradient-direction: vertical;
    background-gradient-start: rgba(31,30,30,0.9);
    background-gradient-end: rgba(56,56,56,0.0);

    height: 1.86em;
    padding-right: 15px;
}

eldragon wrote:

what i dont like about editing /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/ is that an update is likely to hose everything up..

so i would backup all customizations just to be safe wink

install gnome extension http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=47501 , with the extension called user-theme@something (i deleted all the others) you can change from tweaks-tools the theme of the shell, new themes should be put in in /home/user/.themes/$name-of-theme/gnome-shell/

Last edited by kolos (2011-05-07 18:45:46)


och noes!

Offline

#10 2014-11-14 10:54:15

divyang
Member
Registered: 2013-02-21
Posts: 4

Re: How to make upper bar transparent in GNOME Shell

YOu can use Activities configurator extansion to make top panel transperent
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ … figurator/

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB