You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-23 22:25:37

UltrasonicMadness
Website

[SOLVED] Updating software from the Arch User Repository

Hello Arch Linux community, I have recently started using Arch Linux and I'm really enjoying it so far. I was just wondering how I could set AUR packages to update either through Pacman or something like pacman -Syu. I have read the Arch Wiki and Google Search as the forum rules say but I couldn't find anything about about which helpers are able to update software installed from the AUR and I have also read about the manual build process which also doesn't say anything about updating, I would like to be able to do this through the command line if possible, at least partially in accordance with The Arch Way. For full disclosure, the packages I would like to give this treatment are Pale Moon and Hamachi.

Many thanks to Judd, Aaron and the community for providing this excellent distribution.
UltrasonicMadness

Last edited by UltrasonicMadness (2016-03-23 23:51:12)

#2 2016-03-23 22:30:42

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Updating software from the Arch User Repository

Most of the utilities listed in the Wiki: AUR helpers.

Full-featured wrappers like yaourt, pacaur, bauerbill search the AUR to check for updates in addition to automatically wrapping the download and manual build process.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2016-03-23 22:49:32

ewaller
Administrator

Some AUR helpers are better than others.  Be sure you know how to fly by hand before you start to depend on an autopilot.
You might note some disdain amongst the moderators towards yaourt.  Consider this.

Last edited by ewaller (2016-03-23 23:14:01)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-03-23 23:10:35

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Are you just asking for a general upgrade mechanism, or actually upgrading AUR packages via pacman -Syu? If latter, you may want to set up a local repository, though none of the AUR helpers (except aurutils) support this.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AU … ison_table

Also obligatory reading:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository

Last edited by Alad (2016-03-23 23:11:28)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5 2016-03-23 23:47:16

UltrasonicMadness
Website

Thank you very much and sorry for not being clearer in my question, I was just looking for a command-line tool. I just wanted to be sure about this before doing anything to my system and I will be sure to try some of these out.

Thanks again
UltrasonicMadness

Board footer