You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-22 18:57:26

Quardah

laptop-mode-tools vs tlp

Hello.

I was unable to find a rundown of differences between those two tools and i would like to know which one is best practice to use.

on the wiki page of my laptop (T420) we can read the following :

tlp From the AUR is an alternative tool that can replace laptop-mode-tools (AUR).  

Yet now tlp is on official repo, and laptop-mode-tools is in AUR. Does that mean laptop-mode-tools is "legacy"?

Thanks.

ThinkPad P16s AMD / KDE

#2 2016-04-22 19:30:03

GermanyChris

Re: laptop-mode-tools vs tlp

You have to try them both and see which you like better I prefer TLP.

Don't scab for the bosses Don't listen to their lies Poor folks ain't got a chance Unless they organize --Florence Reece

#3 2016-04-23 19:40:32

Quardah

GermanyChris wrote:

You have to try them both and see which you like better I prefer TLP.

I have noticed few difference and cannot conclude which one offers the best battery life. Only thing is, TLP suspends usb which is really confusing at first but as soon as you understand the blacklist, it's all good and easy.

Maybe someone can confirme tlp is superior to laptop-mode (considering i also have a ThinkPad.)

ThinkPad P16s AMD / KDE

#4 2016-04-23 21:52:01

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Neither. Use powertop so you actually know what settings you're enabling, and make them persistent with a udev rule.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Board footer