You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-01 16:20:52

devonrevenge

need help installing firmware for HP stream 7, doesn't find hardware

Hi there I'm new to linux but I cant seem to stop myself from trying to install arch on everything recently,

At the moment I have spent a very long time obsessing over putting arch linux and gnome on the HP stream 7 tablet ( 5701na)

I have actually overcome many obstacles mainly installing on 32 bit nightmare atom processors but i've learnt a lot on the way and
I now find myself stumped, I need to download and install the rtl8723bs drivers from this git repo: https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

at the bottom of the readme they state that they have successfully installed wifi drivers on the HP stream 7:

"Tested on:

Onda v975w
Teclast 3G
HP Stream 7
Dell Venue 8 3000
WinBook TW100 and TW700

Do verify that the device is listed under /sys/bus/sdio/"

^check out that last line, so I paid a visit directory and there ain't nuthin there yikes

Please ask for more info if you need it however specs for hp stream 7 are here: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/hp-stream-7-2019.

Incidently, hwdetect --modules outputs nothing.

I have been working from posts like this link http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows/Li … -p/4829188, all posts on the subject are nigh on clones however I haven't heard anyone talk about installing arch on these tablets.

there is also unstable and whingey output messages about baytrail audio being wrong as well as a few kernel panics and hard lockups, the device rejects a swap partition like a bad kidney transplant also, starts of fine and then changes the PARTUUID code.

naturally making the git download fails, it doesnt find a target, I thought I would try and instal lthe patches and follwed  patch guide, im new to all this and didnt know which sumthin.c file to patch.

Where do I even start researching the problem?

theres also the goodix touch screen, which has an identicle issue.

I also went ahead and called the mkinitcpio -p linux function onthe system again, I dont truly know what that is, but it did say it failed to find firmware for two modules, not sure if this is relevent though.

Preciate your help and I might add that this tablet is fairly powerful given that they are under £50 new!!

EDIT: Is thre some kind of gnome too lto help with this?

Last edited by devonrevenge (2016-05-01 16:34:58)

#2 2016-05-01 20:49:26

Lone_Wolf

Re: need help installing firmware for HP stream 7, doesn't find hardware

There's an rtl8723 package in the aur, maybe that could help you get started.
see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rtl8723bs-dkms-git/

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2016-05-01 22:15:50

devonrevenge

Nah thats the exact repo thats giving me the headache, I quote from it in my post tongue

#4 2016-05-02 11:59:40

devonrevenge

maybe ask in less newbie corner

#5 2016-05-02 13:09:19

Lone_Wolf

I had noticed you found that github repo,but you didn't state whether you had tried installing that module manually.
Building & installing the package would have done that for you.

Ok,back to basics :

Have you tried to install the module from hadess repo?
What errors did you get?

In this Intel forum thread another driver is mentioned, located at https://github.com/codeTom/rtl8723bs .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2016-05-02 14:08:50

devonrevenge

It does install, however searching for the hardware with lshw reveals everything but blue tooth, audio and wifi.

I was trying to make the file and it didnt work, I was getting cmake errors 'not targets found' some reason though it did install, at least I think also there's no device listed under /sys/bus/sdio/"

what do you mean by installing manually also? if I as to create the directory and put the software there, would the device detect the hardware in the PCI slot?

YEah I got that other link, I have been pretty thorough regarding blindfiring, I need a bit of direction, how does installing a driver enable the kernel to find the hardware?

Last edited by devonrevenge (2016-05-02 16:22:28)

#7 2016-05-04 18:05:26

devonrevenge

so how do you install drivers manually?

#8 2016-08-16 22:01:05

devonrevenge

needs compiling a new kernel with speciak binary blobs that is out of scope of the newbie corner

#9 2016-08-17 12:33:46

loqs

You can contact the moderation team to request moving the thread by reporting your post.
It might help to document what binary blobs you need and where you found this information.
Is this related to 213463 or 213814?

Board footer