You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-15 15:34:36

matthew_TKA
Website

Strange Behavior with xBacklight

This isn't exactly a breaker for my situation as I have a workaround, but I noticed some strange behavior with xBacklight on my system.

I have installed xbacklight as per the wiki and even disabled 'systemd-backlight@.service'.

I then bound xbacklight '-inc' and '-dec' commands with a value of 10 to my Fn keys in my i3 config. 

The keybinds work and the backlight will change brighter and darker as I press them... But then the backlight all of a sudden starts slowly but surely auto stepping down until the screen finally goes black O.o.  I can fight against it by pressing my function key to brighten again, but it just keeps going down.  I noticed this same behavior on a default install of Ubuntu as well. 

I'm not 100% sure but it almost seems like it starts to happen when I drop the backlight down past some threshold (aka it doesn't always happen the first time I press the backlight buttons).

The only solution I have is to just manually set the backlight with something like:

xbacklight -set 20

It will then stay at any value I have set it to.  If I decide not to use xbacklight I can also manually set the backlight by writing to the appropriate file, but I figured xbacklight seemed to be a more graceful solution for keybinding and such.

Any ideas?

MSI GS40 6QE PHANTOM
Website

Board footer