You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-05 03:52:09

ellipsis0417

How to use Siji font icons, based on stlarch icons?

I have been searching on google for two days to find out how to properly use some icon fonts I installed from the AUR, siji-git. All of the examples/configs I have seen involve them just using the stlarch .xbm icons, so it's not exactly the same since Siji is an 'installed' font and does not seem to have the .xbm icons. I am trying to use them in my AwesomeWM configuration (titlebar). I would like to use them for my tags, like in many xmonad and dwm configs. The font does include a file called 'view.sh' that shows the 'values/codes' of the icons, and I have tried using them in my config by specifying the value in quotes, like this:

tags[s] = awful.tag({ "\u0x00e0dd", 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 }, s, layouts[1])

and

tags[s] = awful.tag({ "\0x00e0dd", 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 }, s, layouts[1])

But this does not work, and I don't even know if I'm on the right track with trying to use them in my config. If anyone knows how I to use these font icons, or has any insight in how to use them, it will certainly be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ellipsis0417 (2016-01-06 00:42:21)

#2 2016-06-24 10:54:56

suchtie

Re: How to use Siji font icons, based on stlarch icons?

Ok, I realize this thread is half a year old, but it's one of the first things google shows when searching for "how to use siji font", so I figured I should post how to do it after finding it out myself so that others who look for it will have an answer.

After you have installed siji-git from AUR, open the view.sh script that it comes with. Sadly, you cannot copy and paste from this - I could stop writing this now if it was possible.

Click the icon you want to use - for example the second one, a hollow square. Now check the top of the program. The line below the fontname tells you the Unicode hex value for that icon.

character 0x00e001 [...]

Now, open a terminal. You can escape Unicode characters with \u, but you have to skip the 0x00 in front of the number - so we need e001. Enter this:

echo "\ue001"

You will likely see an "icon not found" symbol, usually a rectangle. This means that the font your terminal uses does not include that symbol, but that's okay. You can copy that symbol, even if it's not displayed correctly. Now you can just paste it wherever you want to use the symbol.

#3 2017-01-24 00:07:55

hermes2xgreat

Re: How to use Siji font icons, based on stlarch icons?

suchtie wrote:

Ok, I realize this thread is half a year old, but it's one of the first things google shows when searching for "how to use siji font", so I figured I should post how to do it after finding it out myself so that others who look for it will have an answer.

After you have installed siji-git from AUR, open the view.sh script that it comes with. Sadly, you cannot copy and paste from this - I could stop writing this now if it was possible.

Click the icon you want to use - for example the second one, a hollow square. Now check the top of the program. The line below the fontname tells you the Unicode hex value for that icon.

character 0x00e001 [...]

Now, open a terminal. You can escape Unicode characters with \u, but you have to skip the 0x00 in front of the number - so we need e001. Enter this:

echo "\ue001"

You will likely see an "icon not found" symbol, usually a rectangle. This means that the font your terminal uses does not include that symbol, but that's okay. You can copy that symbol, even if it's not displayed correctly. Now you can just paste it wherever you want to use the symbol.

This didn't work for me. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
Either way, thanks for helping me better understand the usage of these types of icons

Board footer