You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-15 11:28:37

kjozsa

Bracketed paste drives me crazy

My terminal of choice on my Gnome desktop is Terminator - it's fast, configurable and supports transparency. For a few weeks though, bracketed paste (see https://cirw.in/blog/bracketed-paste if unsure) turned on somehow and I can't get rid of it. I had set printf "\e[?2004l" in my .bashrc but I use ssh a lot and appearently ssh-ing to an other host turns it on again - clearly explicitly disabling it on any host I ssh to is not an option.

Is there any way to completely turn this feature off with terminator? If it's not, is there any other suggested terminal emulator which supports transparency? (Gnome-terminal doesn't have it and in Sakura it doesn't seem to work - I did not try else). On the sidenote, I fail to get the whole point of this bracketed paste mode if it's single feature is to corrupt pastes by intention.. I really don't get it.

#2 2016-07-15 11:39:27

phw

Re: Bracketed paste drives me crazy

No idea about bracketed paste mode and how to disable it in Terminator. But you might want to take a look at Terminix (https://github.com/gnunn1/terminix), which provides a lot of the features Terminator has and also supports transparency. It is also available in the AUR

#3 2016-07-15 11:48:43

anselm
Banned

I had the same problem - truly annoying - I opted out for RoxTerm terminal emulator.

#4 2016-07-15 12:06:01

kjozsa

phw wrote:

No idea about bracketed paste mode and how to disable it in Terminator. But you might want to take a look at Terminix (https://github.com/gnunn1/terminix), which provides a lot of the features Terminator has and also supports transparency. It is also available in the AUR

With Terminix, is it possible to hide the tab bar between the title bar and the terminal itself? I don't need tabs but would highly prefer a minimalistic look.

#5 2016-07-15 12:24:08

phw

kjozsa wrote:

With Terminix, is it possible to hide the tab bar between the title bar and the terminal itself? I don't need tabs but would highly prefer a minimalistic look.

Terminix does not use a tab UI, but rather calls the different "pages" sessions and has a separate menu to switch between them. That means there is no tab bar in between the title and the terminals. It is a bit hard to explain, maybe just try it. I find its look rather minimalisic, but you have to be aware that it uses the newer Gnome style client side decorations, where the buttons are placed in the title (but you can also move to a fullscreen mode). Just give it a try and see whether it fits your needs smile

#6 2016-07-15 12:27:19

kjozsa

I tried both Terminix and ROXTerm and the latter is love at first sight - I could configure it to a minimalistic look in seconds. Oh and it scrolls about 10x faster than Terminator did and does not have bracketed paste mode.. Thank you both for the suggestions!

(Still, if anyone can explain what the basic idea behind bracketed paste was, I'm still interested to learn..)

#7 2016-07-19 20:58:17

myserg

The answer is simple - current arch's midnight commander 4.8.17 switches terminal into bracketed paste mode (see https://github.com/MidnightCommander/mc/issues/103).

Last edited by myserg (2016-07-19 20:58:42)

#8 2016-07-19 21:10:41

kjozsa

I don't use mc at all smile

Talking of roxterm, is there any special reason while it doesn't grab the focus in gnome 3 when started with a keyboard shortcut?

Board footer