You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-26 15:35:46

JasonX

Mount partition on login

Hello

Lets say I have a partition for Music and I want to mount it on ~/Music, I'm currently mounting it on fstab using an absolute path

/dev/sdax  /home/user/Music  etc

The problem is that I want it to be available on the ~/Music folder of every user who logs in.

Is it possible to mount a partition not on system start but instead when an user starts session / logs in?

#2 2016-07-26 15:50:17

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Mount partition on login

Is it that you don't want to mount it until it is needed? Or that it needs to be in the user's $HOME directory?

The obvious answer for the second one is to mount it somewhere, perhaps on a new mount point called /home/Music, and then change the permissions so that all the users can access it (The solution on my system).  You could then create a soft link in each user's home directory back to that directory if the users really need it in their $HOME.  Or, you could get fancy and set up a bind mount

Last edited by ewaller (2016-07-26 15:51:01)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer