You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-25 19:43:17

step

mount.cifs don't ask me password

I try to mount my server samba with file fstab, i try to follow guide that tells me to leave out range password but mount.cifs doesn't tell password when i try to open folder and it doesn't work; but if i write username and password folder open correctly!

//ip-server/folder  /mnt/samba      cifs    noauto,users,soft,nocase,username=osmc, 0 0

I hope in your help!

Last edited by step (2016-07-25 19:44:52)

#2 2016-07-25 20:14:20

alphaniner

Re: mount.cifs don't ask me password

1) The fstab entry you posted is invalid; there shouldn't be a comma at the end of the options:

incorrect

noauto,users,soft,nocase,username=osmc,

correct

noauto,users,soft,nocase,username=osmc

Maybe that's all there is to it. That said, I wouldn't have thought something like this would work. What guide are you following?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-07-26 16:13:22

step

I corrected deleting the comma but doesn't work, if i write

//192.168.1.139/Andrea  /mnt/samba      cifs    noauto,users,soft,nocase,username=user,password=pass 0 0

it's work correctly but in this case it mounts without asking password!

This is the guide that i followed:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sa … c_mounting
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sa … e_in_fstab

#4 2016-07-26 16:31:01

alphaniner

I don't see any indication in the guide that providing username but not password should work as you expect. Unfortunately I don't know of any tool that can do it, either.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2016-07-26 18:51:43

step

Sorry for my fuault, i forgot another guide:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/ma … ifs.8.html

specifies the CIFS password. If this option is not given then the environment variable PASSWD is used. If the password is not specified directly or indirectly via an argument to mount, mount.cifs will prompt for a password, unless the guest option is specified.

Note that a password which contains the delimiter character (i.e. a comma ',') will fail to be parsed correctly on the command line. However, the same password defined in the PASSWD environment variable or via a credentials file (see below) or entered at the password prompt will be read correctly.

#6 2016-07-26 20:14:47

alphaniner

OK that definitely suggests to me that what you're trying should work. When you configure the fstab entry without a password, what happens when you try to mount?

I modified an fstab entry to require password and it works:

$ cat /etc/fstab
//phoenix/share	/mnt/phoenix	cifs	users,sec=ntlm,noauto,uid=1000,gid=100,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,iocharset=iso8859-15,username=Administrator	0 0
$ mount /mnt/phoenix
Password for Administrator@//phoenix/share:
$ umount /mnt/phoenix
$ mount -v /mnt/phoenix
Password for Administrator@//phoenix/share: 
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=199.200.1.199,unc=\\phoenix\share,sec=ntlm,noauto,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,iocharset=iso8859-15,uid=1000,gid=100,user=Administrator,pass=********

-Lysander Spooner

#7 2016-10-17 14:03:11

step

Sorry, I haven't not explained well; what i mean is: I whish that when i try to mount the server (after that i have write entry in /etc/fstab) asks my or root password, like when I mount partition when i keep Windows.
I try to explain better with this photo: Image

I hope you can help me! Thank you in advance!

Board footer