You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-25 09:23:35

janpansa

Windows deleted my EXT4 partition.

Ok, so not sure where I should post this, but here goes:

I have 3 hard drives in my computer :

1 = Samsung 850 Pro SSD. (This houses my arch environment... e.g. /boot, /home and / partitions and it works well)
2 = 6TB Western Digital HDD formatted in EXT4. (This is where I keep my files e.g. anime)
3 = 1TB Seagate hard drive for Windows 10.

I never run windows and linux on the same hard drive and further, I never run windows and linux on the same time, e.g. where both hard drives are on.

So 99.9% of the time I am using arch, so the lnux SSD will be on and the Windows HDD will be off.
The other 0.1 % of the time, I need to play a game such as the new Deus Ex Mankind divided, so then I switch off my linux ssd and then turn on the windows HDD.
The 6TB ext4 drive is always just on.

So yesterday, I bought the new Deus Ex, however, the windows that was on that computer was slow, so I decided to format the drive and start from scratch. So I made sure linux drive was off, then I started the computer and booted up with the windows 10 install. On the screen where you choose which hdd to install windows on, it listed 2 hard drives. It saw the 6TB and the Windows 1TB. I chose to install Windows on the old 1TB because the 6tb ext 4 hdd has all my stuff on. After the installation was done, Windows was in fact installed onto the 1TB hdd and I could play Deus Ex, cool. Then, today, I needed to do some work in Arch, so I switched of Windows, switched the windows hdd off, turned the Arch linux SSD on and booted arch.

Arch boots up fine, I can log in, but where is my 6TB drive ?

After inspection, it looks like windows decided to add a 512mb partition without my permission onto my 6TB hdd. Why in the name of @$# would windows do that after I explicitly told windows to only use that 1TB drive. Now my 6TB shows up with that partition and 6TB unallocated space.

I'm a long time arch user and really just wanted to play that awesome new game. Is there any way I can recover the 6TB of data sad

#2 2016-08-25 09:26:42

tpfkanep

Re: Windows deleted my EXT4 partition.

Try testdisk

#3 2016-08-25 10:18:47

janpansa

tpfkanep wrote:

Try testdisk

Thx, I'll try it and let you know what I find.

#4 2016-08-25 22:59:29

jmp186

What I would do is simply reformat the hdd to ext4. all the data rewirtten by that W partition is probably lost but the rest will be there, can anyone confirm ?

#5 2016-08-25 23:10:21

alphaniner

Reformatting would not result in the old data being visible and would likely do more harm than good. The number one rule in situations such as this is read-only.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2016-08-25 23:24:01

jmp186

It works (I did that on usb keys a dozen times) but it's indeed not the best/secure way to do things smile

Board footer