You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-30 11:56:09

Aurelio

Notebook never actually powers off

My Notebook running Arch linux up-2-date has a kinda strange Problem.

Whenever i shut my Notebook down it so either using the KDE shutdown button or in console 'shutdown now' it first reacts normally and is see lots of stuff with ok on left side fly trough screen till it stops and at the end it says '[OK] Reached target shutdown' and thats it. Screen stays on indefinitely.  The issue appeared since i first installed arch linux around half a year ago and till now i just didn't care to much to tackle the issue. Anyways the Issue was always there since i installed Arch and i normally resolve it by pressing the Power button till the Notebook shuts off.

I am a extreme newbie Linux User and im kinda lost... I tried searching with baidu (no google here in china) for resolutions but oh well the only thing i can find is either related to other operating systems or not my problem or not working solutions..

Is there any logs or command outputs i can provide to help with the trouble shooting? I am really sorry to ask like this since i have absolutely no clue about the whole shutdown function and idea where to start debugging...

Last edited by Aurelio (2016-09-30 12:21:36)

#2 2016-09-30 12:52:36

r0b0t

Re: Notebook never actually powers off

Welcome to archlinux , I hope they will not ban archlinux as well...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sh … wer_Button
You may find hints on how to debug here : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46709
This may be your same identical issue : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167844
It may be a good start.

#3 2016-09-30 13:29:21

Aurelio

Thanks for the Hints and well lucky me i am only temporarily here because of the Job but oh well you don't realise how much you depend on Google services as long as you can use them... No Youtube, no google search, no gmail. no google maps etc. Hard as fuck sometimes smile

So i tried a bit around with your links. Here's what i have gathered so far:

The Issue you posted is about a problem in KDE and when using command line works so different then by me since i can use command line shutdown and kde shutdown both same result. and it stops at a different target reached. Or at least that's as far as i understand it.

When i used the command "sync; shutdown now" in a new tty logged in as root from the debug thread you posted it doesn't shutdown properly as well but in a different manner. The screen just goes black and the lights by Ram cpu and HDD stop blinking but the Power button still glows and connected USB devices still get power. required again to long press power button. From that i guess it is not related to xorg and KDE?

I should note that reboot works perfectly fine in KDE and per command line.

The command systemctl poweroff, poweroff, shutdown and shutdown now (if there's even a difference by these) all produce the same result regardless of tty with or without kde.

Last edited by Aurelio (2016-09-30 13:31:11)

#4 2016-09-30 13:39:55

r0b0t

Could you try booting some livecd distro and try the poweroff from there? It's really a weird issue, I also think it's not related to at least kde, but would be better to be sure so we at least can pinpoint and know where to look for errors..
I'll be fishing the following days so I hope  some other fellow may take over here for me.

#5 2016-09-30 14:02:19

Aurelio

Uhhh ok THAT was strange... so i had a Kali stick lying around and tried it on the NB. Result is that Kali itself works all fine etc but When i tied to shut it off with Gui shutdown option and command line ones all resulted in some kind of same problem. Either screen went black but power still glowing and usb connected things still power or similar screen like with Arch but User manager as last entry.

So i guess it has nothing to do with my Operating system but rather my Notebook itself?

It's a Lenovo B470.

#6 2016-09-30 15:21:40

V1del
Forum Moderator

Try to update your BIOS/UEFI firmware, issues like that often result from bugs there.

#7 2016-09-30 16:13:28

Aurelio

Ok will try that. This gonna be fun.

Gotta love those Manufactors that only List windows as supported and only a .exe in their Downloads. Well will see what i can extract from it.

#8 2016-09-30 16:42:44

Aurelio

Oh yeah lenovo great job.

So i downloaded the Bios update: http://support.lenovo.com/us/de/product … s/DS027256

Then tried to extract it using p7zip witch gave me checksum error. Then i thought well lets use 7zip in Wine to compar the sha1 to the one on the website turns out is the right one so correct file from website but not executable, not extractable and well...... Dunno. No Bios update for me i guess.

Board footer