You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-24 18:31:50

Milchschokolade

[SOLVED]Strange Screen Behaviour while not moving mouse

Hello,

I have a Laptop with Windows / Arch Dual boot installed. Just to start with: on Windows, everything works fine.

Now to my Problem: 
Whenever I start up Arch, my Screen behaves strangely. I get all types of flickers, screen backlight dimming down and sometimes my screen slowly fills with white pixels until its completely white.
All of this happens every few seconds, sometimes multiple times a second.  Now here is the strange thing: When logged into a user account and with GNOME started, while I continuously move my mouse or while the Terminal is loading, I do not experience any of those problems.

What I have already tried:
- de/reinstalling xorg and GNOME  --> Flickering also appears with both of them deinstalled
- de/reinstalling nvidia driver
- switching to nouveau driver
- de-installing xf86-video-intel driver

I really need some help, right now I can barely use my Arch :(
I am very new to arch (and linux in general), but eager to learn. This is why I would prefer to find a solution and not having to re-install arch completely.

Thank you for your time :)

Last edited by Milchschokolade (2016-10-28 23:56:42)

#2 2016-10-24 20:47:36

seth

Re: [SOLVED]Strange Screen Behaviour while not moving mouse

wayland? gdm your login manager? log into "gnome on Xorg" - a problem there as well?

#3 2016-10-24 21:09:58

Milchschokolade

seth wrote:

wayland? gdm your login manager? log into "gnome on Xorg" - a problem there as well?

The Problem appears weather or not xorg is installed, so wayland (as I understand GNOMES default option if xorg is not installed) is not working either.

I do use GDM, but I'm not sure wheather or not it is also used as Login manager. Is there a way I can find out?

#4 2016-10-24 21:26:48

ewaller
Administrator

Milchschokolade wrote:

...so wayland (as I understand GNOMES default option if xorg is not installed) is not working either....

Be advised, It would seem since the last upgrade that Gnome uses Wayland by default and falls back to Xorg.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-10-24 22:12:50

seth

systemctl status gdm.desktop

Since gdm uses wayland by default as well, I estimate your troubles there. (Thus ensure to try gnome on xorg)

#6 2016-10-25 11:25:07

Milchschokolade

ewaller wrote:

Be advised, It would seem since the last upgrade that Gnome uses Wayland by default and falls back to Xorg.

Thank you for your answer! I had it reversed, so indeed my system was using wayland instead of xorg.

I know switched to xorg. Unfortunately that caused some additional Problems that I am working on at the moment.
My original  Problem still exists, even tho I am using xorg now.

seth wrote:

systemctl status gdm.desktop

This gives me an all ok messge without any errors.

So I would assume that my problem goes deeper than the graphical user interface?

#7 2016-10-25 13:33:54

seth

It means that you're using gdm as desktop manager. Nothing more, nothing less ;-)
What "additional" problems? But you're suggesting the graphical problems remain even in a "gnome on xorg" session?
Can you please post (in code tags) ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log  resp. /var/log/Xorg.0.log (which ever is newer)

#8 2016-10-28 23:55:59

Milchschokolade

seth wrote:

It means that you're using gdm as desktop manager. Nothing more, nothing less ;-)
What "additional" problems? But you're suggesting the graphical problems remain even in a "gnome on xorg" session?

That's right, the Problems remained, unfortunately.

But I am happy to say that I found the Problem. It was something with the intel-GPU trying to safe power.

I fixed it by adding the following two kernel-parameters:

i915.enable_rc6=0
i915.enable_psr=0

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by Milchschokolade (2016-10-28 23:57:56)

Board footer