You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-24 07:35:53

nvteighen

[SOLVED] [Minor annoyance] systemd output without colors on boot

Hi folks,
This is a very minor problem, but nevertheless I've been trying to solve it without any success at all so far. Since systemd has hit 231, boot output is no longer colored (I don't do "quiet" boots). Everything is fine, but the usual [ OK ] isn't green anymore, even though /etc/systemd/system.conf has LogColor set to 'yes'. This is cosmetic only to a certain point, as colors help me a lot to easily spot if something has gone wrong for some reason when booting up the system. Interestingly enough, I use systemd in my initramfs image (via the "systemd" hook in mkinitcpio.conf) and the output of the early systemd image does show colored output.
Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!

Last edited by nvteighen (2016-10-28 09:19:31)

#2 2016-10-25 17:30:08

zikaeroh

Re: [SOLVED] [Minor annoyance] systemd output without colors on boot

I have the same missing colors on boot, bit I've been on 231 for a while (I update very frequently). I believe my issues came with Linux 4.8.2. Interestingly, I've been using systemd in my initramfs for over a month, and I don't have colors with it. Maybe I should try switching back and seeing if whatever we have active is the issue.

#3 2016-10-25 17:35:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

nvteighen wrote:

(I don't do "quiet" boots) [...] colors help me a lot to easily spot if something has gone wrong for some reason when booting up the system.

I don't have a solution to your problem (sorry) but did you know that if a quiet boot is set then failed units will still print a message during boot?

Thus, to easily spot failed units simply set a quiet boot and watch for any messages.

#4 2016-10-25 21:13:58

zikaeroh

Yep, just tried what the wiki says to use with the systemd image, and it works as expected. Guess I can't complain about the colors being missing if I don't see them.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Silent_boot

#5 2016-10-26 12:34:19

nvteighen

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
nvteighen wrote:

(I don't do "quiet" boots) [...] colors help me a lot to easily spot if something has gone wrong for some reason when booting up the system.

I don't have a solution to your problem (sorry) but did you know that if a quiet boot is set then failed units will still print a message during boot?

Thus, to easily spot failed units simply set a quiet boot and watch for any messages.

Yes, I know that, but nevertheless I like to see the whole process of it... and I'd really like to know why this changed without any action on my behalf.

#6 2016-10-28 09:02:41

berbae

The default value of LogColor is now 'no', you need to edit /etc/systemd/system.conf and uncomment the line:

LogColor=yes

#7 2016-10-28 09:18:46

nvteighen

berbae wrote:

The default value of LogColor is now 'no', you need to edit /etc/systemd/system.conf and uncomment the line:

LogColor=yes

That solved it. Thanks.

However, I'm wondering whether a bug should be filed upstream so that the commented line in the default /etc/systemd/system.conf becomes "LogColor=no". As far as I know, the semantics of "commented conf files" is that you list the current defaults as commented lines, right?

Last edited by nvteighen (2016-10-28 09:20:09)

#8 2016-10-29 13:09:58

berbae

Yes it's right, you can try to signal it. Maybe this change is not intentional.

Board footer