You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-24 06:02:22

antisocial

[Solved] Deepin and latest Nvidia driver

Hi there,

Has anyone been able to install the latest Nvidia drivers while running Deepin?

I've already bricked my video twice and almost bricked it again trying to update these drivers.

[root@zac ~]# pacman -S nvidia
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: nvidia-utils and nvidia-340xx-utils are in conflict. Remove nvidia-340xx-utils? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nvidia-340xx-libgl: removing nvidia-340xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-340xx-utils'

I've also tried this in console after turning lightdm off using Nvidia's .run file, it threw an error stating it wanted to turn off "Nouveau" and failed, and I'm scared to go digging.

What would be the proper way of getting these drivers updated? Any pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Zac

Last edited by antisocial (2016-11-24 21:48:05)

#2 2016-11-24 08:14:34

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Deepin and latest Nvidia driver

What's your graphics card? This has nothing to do with deepin, you simply have to pass all packages involved in the transaction explicitly e.g.

pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils nvidia-libgl

HOWEVER why have you tried running nvidias run file? This breaks a whole lot of things, run the corresponding uninstaller program and make sure there are no random files left from that.. Always use pacman to install packages, especially system packages like the nvidia driver.

#3 2016-11-24 09:22:23

x33a
Forum Fellow

Mod note: Moving to NC.

#4 2016-11-24 11:54:21

antisocial

V1del wrote:

What's your graphics card? This has nothing to do with deepin, you simply have to pass all packages involved in the transaction explicitly e.g.

pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils nvidia-libgl

HOWEVER why have you tried running nvidias run file? This breaks a whole lot of things, run the corresponding uninstaller program and make sure there are no random files left from that.. Always use pacman to install packages, especially system packages like the nvidia driver.

It's a GTX 770 - I read somewhere that getting the drivers from the vendor would increase performance, I suppose that is not the case here. I will try using pacman as you suggested as soon as I get out of the office today and report back. Thank you.

#5 2016-11-24 21:32:48

mrunion
Website

Just reiterating -- NEVER use the drivers straight from nVidia. Use the packaged versions. They are almost always the same, and Arch doesn't do anything to reduce their performance.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#6 2016-11-24 21:45:01

antisocial

mrunion wrote:

Just reiterating -- NEVER use the drivers straight from nVidia. Use the packaged versions. They are almost always the same, and Arch doesn't do anything to reduce their performance.

That is awesome and I did not know this, very good information from you guys. Thank you very much.

I just got done installing via pacman from V1del's post and it installed flawlessly. Everything is working great.

Many applications weren't loading due to a libgl error before I installed this, ALL of those applications now work. Kudos guys.

#7 2016-11-24 21:47:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2016-11-24 21:48:22

antisocial

jasonwryan wrote:

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Done, thanks.

Board footer