You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-20 11:14:43

userak

[Solved] Multilib query

1. Am I correct in understanding that multilib are the  libararies with both 32 and 64 bit supports.
2. What version of OS and other libraries got installed on my system  when  I  ran the following command

pacstrap /mnt  base base-devel

Last edited by userak (2017-02-20 12:12:07)

A newbie archlinux user ...

#2 2017-02-20 11:38:14

olegabrielz

Re: [Solved] Multilib query

To se what archictecture you are on:

uname -a

For enabling/disabling multilib just search the wiki. Base ande base-devel are groups of packages. You got the packages that is in those two groups. Search the wiki for more details.

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#3 2017-02-20 11:59:30

Slithery
Administrator

You got whichever version of the libraries matched the architecture you were running in the live boot environment when you ran the pacstrap command, either 32-bit or 64-bit. The multilib packages for running 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit system are only present when specifically installed.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2017-02-20 12:11:51

userak

I search the internet before asking this question but  what I wanted to know was how the arch installation works.   So running the above mentioned command  downloads the libraries depending upon the architecture.  I was thinking there might be different commands for installing different versions. 

Thank you guys . smile

A newbie archlinux user ...

#5 2017-02-20 13:35:06

olegabrielz

I was referring to the arch wiki, which is the online documentation of arch linux. Sorry for not being completly clear about it. If you have questions regarding arch linux you should always check out what those wiki pages says about it. One of arch linux most impressive features is actually the documentation. Embrace it and you'll soon learn that you can answer many of our questions yourself.

userak wrote:

So running the above mentioned command  downloads the libraries depending upon the architecture.

It depends. If you choose to boot in legacy mode you can actually boot up the iso in 32 bit on a 64 bit architecture. When using pacstrap in that situation will result in a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit architecture.

But that situation will soon be gone. The upcoming iso will only support 64 bit architecture:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/phasing- … 6-support/
The multilib will still be here. So running 32 bit software on 64 bit architecture will be as is. But to install arch in 32 bit architecture will not longer be officialy supported.

Enjoy smile

Edit: typo

Last edited by olegabrielz (2017-02-20 13:45:25)

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

Board footer