You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-22 17:53:33

Peilot

External GPU on stationary PC without bumblebee?

Ok, this may be one of the most stupid questions on this forum, but I have had some bad experience with the whole Nvidia Optimus and Bumblebee thing on Arch.
Anyways, the thing is that I am thinking of building a new PC and then use Arch on it, but the thing is that I dont want to have to use Bumblebee or Nvidia Optimus with it.
So I want to know if I will be able to just type in: "sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-libgl" into a terminal and it will all work fine? Because from my experiences, that is not true when using a laptop with Nvidia Optimus.

Last edited by Peilot (2017-02-22 17:53:50)

#2 2017-02-22 18:19:52

Omar007

Re: External GPU on stationary PC without bumblebee?

Disclaimer; My experience with such systems is rather limited so definitely don't take my answer as a fact tongue

You can avoid it completely if you take a CPU that does not have an iGPU.
If you do have a CPU with an iGPU, it should also work fine without if you select the external GPU to be the primary VGA device in your BIOS.
(Example: http://monolith-theater.net/hal/wp-cont … 70_033.jpg)

Last edited by Omar007 (2017-02-22 18:23:41)

#3 2017-02-23 00:27:03

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: External GPU on stationary PC without bumblebee?

The problem on a laptop is that your actual outputs/screens aren't hooked to the dedicated card which is why you have to go with bumblebee or corresponding xorg configuration because your dedicared card cannot render to a screen directly and has to go over a iGPU. Which makes sense, as on a laptop in order to conserve battery life you would only want to use the power hungry dedicated card only when absolutely needed. Both of these conditions are usually untrue for a desktop system, which is why you can just use them as intended with the nvidia driver, without bumblebee.

Board footer