You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-16 20:16:31

osintusr

[SOLVED] Running youtube-viewer in tmux pane

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure youtube-viewer to play videos in a tmux pane. The default of course is to open a new window. I want to be able to launch a video with youtube-viewer and have it play in the same pane maximized to fit the size of that pane.

I've had a good look through the forums and documentation, and done a fair bit of Googling, but can't figure it out. Is it even possible?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Last edited by osintusr (2017-11-16 20:37:41)

#2 2017-11-16 20:35:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Running youtube-viewer in tmux pane

Youtube-viewer is just a menu interface that launches some other video player (mpv on my system).  Most such video players would create a X11 window which most definitely can not be in a tmux pane.  Some tty-friendly video players render directly to the framebuffer, but this too would not be able to be put in a tmux pane.

You may be able to script something with a tool like wmctrl to set the geometry of the window to be the same as a tmux pane if you know the size of the pane, but it would not adjust with the pane nor be actually contained in it.

Tmux is a terminal multiplexer: videos don't play in terminals.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-11-16 20:38:48

osintusr

Re: [SOLVED] Running youtube-viewer in tmux pane

Thanks, that's what I figured.

Board footer