You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-17 06:12:22

redler7

[SOLVED] BlueJ, Java IDE help

Hello, I am very new to arch but have been using linux in general for a little while now.

I wanted to switch my laptop over to arch to experiment and test stuff out, but as I need it for my comp. sci class, they require us to use bluej for our java code.

When installing bluej with yaourt it all comes out correctly and it gets installed but when trying to run it, it instantly crashes.

The following gets spit out when it tries to execute:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: bluej/Boot : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:803)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:442)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:64)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:354)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:348)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:347)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:312)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)

If there is anymore information you need to help, please ask, and I will try to respond as fast as possible.

Thank you!

Last edited by redler7 (2017-11-17 16:00:04)

#2 2017-11-17 08:31:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] BlueJ, Java IDE help

Which java version are you running? If openjdk9 try with openjdk8 instead. openjdk9 adds some features that might break users of internal API, so trying with openjdk8 instead of 9 might help with applications that haven't been updated yet.

Last edited by V1del (2017-11-17 10:26:31)

#3 2017-11-17 12:23:33

redler7

V1del wrote:

Which java version are you running? If openjdk9 try with openjdk8 instead. openjdk9 adds some features that might break users of internal API, so trying with openjdk8 instead of 9 might help with applications that haven't been updated yet.

Well, this did it. I tried the defaults first when I installed it, which was jdk7, and after that didn't work I tried jdk9, and just assumed that jdk8 wouldn't work either.

Turns out I was wrong, thanks!

#4 2017-11-17 12:34:28

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well that error is usually associated with incompatible VMs, so BlueJ probably requires Java 8 (because they use new features from that) but utilize functionality that breaks the new assumptions of Java 9 (these assumptions are known to affect users of internal API and IDEs often belong to that group because they try to utilize certain features to help with parsing/autocompleting and similar).

If this is solved for you, please edit the title of your initial post and prepend [SOLVED] or similar.

Board footer