You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-09 19:30:55

zervankoru

What is the current state with (V,G..etc)-sync technologies for NVIDIA

I want to buy new computer. Currently I have very old Notebook with GeForce 9200M GS.
I have tearing in XFCE and in game CS 1.6 (under wine). So I want to avoid it. And I want to understand theory.
I know, that NVIDIA has v-sync and g-sync. What is the state of support for g-sync on linux?
Also, about v-sync. Currently in nvidia-settings I can set "Sync To VBlank", but it doesn't change anything in CS 1.6 and in XFCE.
Is it actually v-sync? And how to set fast v-sync mode?
And what is [nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"] ? It rules, i have no tearing in CS 1.6 and XFCE, but I have lags in the game. Is it v-sync? And will I have same lags on my new videocard? Can I avoid it? Maybe it is better to buy AMD GPU?

#2 2018-10-10 10:44:08

Lone_Wolf

Re: What is the current state with (V,G..etc)-sync technologies for NVIDIA

https://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree8 … README.txt , search for g-sync .

Keep in mind that both videocard and screen must support g-sync (same is true for the opensource variant freesync ).

V-sync is tied to the refresh rate of the screen. It depends on screen specs and chosen video mode.
(lower resolutions often can be set to higher screen refresh rates).

Afaik v-sync is on or off and "fast v-sync" doesn't exist.
Setting v-sync (or sync to Vblank) to off can help if your graphics hardware can deliver frames faster then the refresh rate of the monitor.

If the graphics hardware delivers less fps then refresh rate , it doesn't matter whether v-sync is on or off.

No idea about the metamodes, sorry.

And will I have same lags on my new videocard? Can I avoid it?

Lag can have other causes then graphics hardware, processor, memory, diskspeed all play a part.
(make sure your new system has a fast ssd, that helps a lot).

Maybe it is better to buy AMD GPU?

for best performance you probably still want nvidia.
Unfortunately that means depending on nvidia dev team and their proprietary code.

the amdgpu uses open source driver that has steadily improved since amd decided to support open source video driver  10+ years ago.

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#3 2018-10-10 11:05:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you want to prevent tearing in game or on the desktop without the perf hit of enabling the full composition pipeline, either enable V-Sync in game and/or enable a compositor outside of the game, afaik XFCE does ship a compositor, though I don't know how well it works.

#4 2018-10-10 16:00:03

Sylence

I have a 980 GTX and a G-Sync monitor (144Hz).
V-Sync does work without composition on some games, but not on all of them. As far as I can tell the game engine needs to have a proper fullscreen mode, not just windowed fullscreen, for it to work. Older versions of Unity for example do not work while newer ones do.
G-Sync has the same requirement I think, but it did actually fix some of the V-Sync problems I had. As expected, it's the smoothest way to run games for me. But be aware that running some games at > 60Hz causes glitches.
The forced composition pipeline does introduce some stuttering for me. I had more luck with compton as a composition manager in terms of smoothness.

I don't play CS 1.6 so I can't tell you how V/G-Sync support works there.

#5 2018-10-13 06:44:09

zervankoru

V1del wrote:

If you want to prevent tearing in game or on the desktop without the perf hit of enabling the full composition pipeline, either enable V-Sync in game and/or enable a compositor outside of the game, afaik XFCE does ship a compositor, though I don't know how well it works.

I've heard about compton. It can work with another window managers and support nvidia vsync. But how it can make any influence on applications? People in the internet suggest to use compton to fix tearing in XFCE and even in firefox. How can composite manager do something with firefox?

Last edited by zervankoru (2018-10-13 06:45:08)

#6 2018-10-13 09:10:59

Lone_Wolf

You misunderstand the relations between components.

Xorg has a Composite extension.

Applications (xfce, openbox, firefox, gimp, k3b etc) use that extension to create invisible output screens in a buffer

If there's a Xorg Compositor running, it decides when the Composite buffer is merged to the visible output screen
Without a compositor, Xorg merges the buffer using some kind of algorithm.

My personal experience is that compositors are needed for transparency, shadows and lots of other eye candy but have  little influence on tearing.
This may be due to the fact I prefer lean DE/WM (lxqt + openbox atm) , no desktop icons, no automounting etc.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Composite

#7 2018-10-13 12:38:16

fabertawe

I have been using a G-SYNC monitor (AOC G2460PG) with a GTX 970 for a couple of years and have not had a single screen tearing issue on the desktop or playing any game.

This is with my default composited WM, which is Compiz (0.8) and with my alternative WM (JWM), which is non-composited. I play games with both but normally switch to JWM for graphically intensive games.

i7 4790K 4.4GHz, ASRock Z97 Extreme6, 16GB 2400MHz, GTX 970, Arch x86_64

#8 2018-10-13 13:15:48

zervankoru

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You misunderstand the relations between components.

Xorg has a Composite extension.

Applications (xfce, openbox, firefox, gimp, k3b etc) use that extension to create invisible output screens in a buffer

If there's a Xorg Compositor running, it decides when the Composite buffer is merged to the visible output screen
Without a compositor, Xorg merges the buffer using some kind of algorithm.

My personal experience is that compositors are needed for transparency, shadows and lots of other eye candy but have  little influence on tearing.
This may be due to the fact I prefer lean DE/WM (lxqt + openbox atm) , no desktop icons, no automounting etc.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Composite

Please, check out my tests here and here. You can see, that I tried to use clear awesomewm too.

#9 2018-10-14 13:23:28

Lone_Wolf

It does seem that apart from which compositor is used, the driver plays a big role.

All my videocards the past decade have been ati/amd cards using open source drivers.
(The new system i'll hope to have soon will also an amd card).

The majority of problems with tearing seem to with intel & nvidia cards.
The replacement of the xf86-video-intel driver with xorg server modesetting driver seems to have helped a lot for intel cards.

Will your new system be a laptop ?
If so, you'll probably have 2 videocards in it : an integrated one and a discrete one.
the integrated one comes with the processor, are you considering amd or intel processor ?

Board footer