You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-23 09:02:23

vcaselli

Boot in UEFI Mode from USB does not show full filesystem

I would like to install Arch on a Dell Precision 5530 laptop in dual boot with existing Windows 10 on a GPT/UEFI disk.

On the Windows side I already diabled Secure Boot, Fast Startup, Hibernation and the system is booting in UEFI Mode + Secure boot off (No Legacy mode).

When system starts with the USB stick inserted, the command lsblk is listing just the USB stick filesystem (mapped as /dev/sda).

Only if I change the boot to Legacy Mode (non UEFI) I can see both the USB stick and the full filesystem (mapped as /dev/nvme0n1).

Which mode is correct: UEFI or Legacy?
And why with UEFI I cannot see the full filesystem?

Thank you very much in advance.
Vincenzo 

#2 2019-11-23 09:16:58

nl6720
Wiki Admin

Re: Boot in UEFI Mode from USB does not show full filesystem

The disk is probably set to RAID mode in the UEFI setup. Search throught the settings and set it to AHCI.
If these notes are correct, it should be in System Configuration > SATA Operation.

#3 2019-11-24 23:44:26

vcaselli

Re: Boot in UEFI Mode from USB does not show full filesystem

Hi nl6720,
thank you! Your suggestion solved exactly the problem!
It seems that it is related to NVMe SSDs and their configuration in Dell Precision 5530.
Anyway after changing UEFI setup from RAID mode to AHCI Windows 10 started with a blue screen with error.
Then I followed the suggested procedure for system recovery which ended with Windows reinstall (without reformatting, so previous data were still there).
Since the laptop was brand new, loosing a couple of program installations was not a problem, but according to this page
https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat … operation/
it should be possible also to avoid reinstalling.
Thank you very much.
Vincenzo

Board footer