You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 18:21:50

speng

[SOLVED]Xfce keyboard problem

When I press Shift+2 I get ".

It doesn't register the actual character until I press space. I just noticed that it does the same with   '...

What on earth is going on? tongue It worked fine in GNOME KDE Openbox Fluxbox etc...
I am using the right keyboard layout and changing the model has no effect.

Last edited by speng (2009-03-05 04:20:52)

#2 2009-03-04 22:00:46

speng

Re: [SOLVED]Xfce keyboard problem

Bump!

In order to type ` ' " ^  I need to first press the button, or Shift + the button required to type it and then press space.

If I do " twice it comes up with ¨... If I do ' and then e, I get é... I think itś supposed to be a feature or something. :s

Heeeeeelp, its getting on my nerves, haha.

#3 2009-03-04 22:27:42

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

` and ^ are used on top of letters in some languages so you can't expect it to show up with just one key press. ' and " should and do show up with just one key press here.
Examples: ã õ â ô á à é ê ñ

Oh and bumping a thread that is just one day old invites people to look at it and go away, try to figure it out yourself, something like http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%C3%A1+wikipedia or http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%C3%A9+wikipedia would answer it. Also consider that if no one answers then probably its because no one knows for sure how to answer you.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2009-03-04 22:41:32

speng

Sorry about bumping... I know what the characters are, but all of those buttons I listed in my original post worked instantly in Gnome, KDE and any other DE/WM I tried. It suddenly doesn't feel like working in Xfce.

Google has been of no help at all, itś (gaaah) always the first thing I use when I have a problem, if it was on Google I would have already found it, or maybe itś because I have no idea what to search for, so I just try different strings. I have no idea how those 2 wikipedia google could help me at all.

The thread was on the second page, I doubt anyone would look on the second page. Iḿ sure someone else must have had this problem!

Edit: I think my problem is "dead keys". I tried using Colemak (?) and I could do " etc. properly, but it was of course the wrong layout.

Edit2: Log information:

(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd' or 'mouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0
(**) BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard: Found keys
(II) BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

So this means if I use system settings in xfce, I get a us keyboard layout. The layout I need is not included in xfce. I will look into AllowEmptyInput.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Solved. I really wish X wouldn't have just automatically changed my keyboard layout. hmm Solution was:

exec ck-launch-session xfce4-session &
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb -variant basic

That is from my .xinitrc file, the second command obviously sets the layout after I have logged in (?).

Thanks. smile

Last edited by speng (2009-03-05 04:20:43)

#5 2009-03-05 08:35:39

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

And it can do that, you either disable hotplug/evdev in your xorg.conf and tell X which keyboard layout you want to use or you can configure that in the proper fdi file http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … figuration

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer